Should I replace my window motors?

Mach Jace

So both regulators are out on my two back windows and I've gotta buy some new regulators for 25 bucks each. However, there's also the option to purchase them in a set with the motor for an extra 25 bucks each.

Is it worth it to replace the motor and the regulator for 50 bucks? Or should I just replace the regulators by themselves?

The rear window regulator assembly on '97+ GP's is pretty much an all-in-one affair. It's cable-driven. I remember looking for the regulator only when I needed one and being disappointed.

They're not at all hard to replace, I did it at the July W-body meet in like 20 minutes with Jay breathing down my neck the whole time. :lol:

The motors almost never go bad, the cables get out of track or the nylon tabs holding the cable to the actual window regulator fail. or the nylon sashes holding the regulator to the window break off or come unglued. I have torn these apart before and had sucess repairing them. Its very difficult but if you have time do it for fun and the educational experience and challenge. The ones Rock Auto sells are Doorman regulators and are pretty good, the ones on ebay will last a good time if you install them properly. Many times the window track itself gets damaged when they fail and a bent or out of place window track will make any new regulator fail before it should. I have used OEM, Doorman and the cheap ebay regulators on G bodies, N bodies w bodies, and 360 T trucks with equal sucess. A good way of extending the life of these units both new and used is lubricate them with a good silicone based grease. 5 minutes extra on a careful installation will save you alot of headaches down the road.

50 dollars could also buy you a nice big canister of anal lube for when you get back to Chicago to reunite with your Big Black Secret Lover Tyrone.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm just gonna go with the regulators on this one. After all they ARE the back windows anyway and they really aren't that important, I just want to fix them because one of the windows is sagging a bit and there's an airflow that seeps in the car from the crack. Hopefully the tracks are okay, otherwise in a few months from now you'll probably see another post titled "OMGWTF".

Im guessing it'll be a bit harder then the backs, but its an overall easy job as long as you know how to run the cables.

Yep, so long as you have the repair manual (haynes, etc.).

And actually read it, of course.