HALP Hi-Beam Massacre! (OMG now with VIDEO!) NOW SOLVED!!

4door Intl

Help me kill my hi-beams! They've not worked for some time, but living in the city- who gives a rat! Then occasionally beginning a few months ago i'd be driving along minding my own when all of a sudden SUPER HI-BEAM MEGAFLASH SHOW WITHOUT EVEN TOUCHING THE STALK WTF!! until i'd pull it and they'd turn off. Well one day last week they went possessed as per but no amount of stalk yanking would get them off again. (lol) Ultimately i pulled the wiring connectors to the bulbs themselves so i could at least drive, but each time i now start the car i have to push the headlight switch all the in or "on" position to stop the MEGAFLASH DASHBOARD INDICATOR PLUS LOW BEAM ENGAGE/DISENGAGE SHOW.

Ok so now that i got that out of the way- is there a dedicated hi-beam fuse i can pull to stop the madness? I checked the main fuse panel and the closest was "elect".

I should make a video and post it so you can see how hilarious it is- it flashes at about 150 times a minute!

Well wouldn't you know it, damn hi-beams and indicator light are stuck on without flashing tonight. It did it all day today, too! I left my little video camera in the car though as i'm sure she'll be right back to her bag of trix tomorrow and i'll capture it for y'all. In the meantime, is there one fuse can pull afterward to stop *only* this madness??

X3, I think it would be a funny vid... I'd check all of the wiring sounds like a short and the short wire hits with the vibration of the engine. or you could just unplug the lights.

i;m going to go out on a limb.... and say that it is a 90-93 international, and if so, it has the square column.

the beam selector is a box on the lower column, and that box has a click to move piece inside that can break. when it does, it can leave the high and low beams on at the same time, and even result in arcing, which is probably what caused the flickering.

you need to get a replacement box, however, you can bypass it for now.

there are four wires:

yellow

yellow w black stripe

tan

light green

CUT the LIGHT GREEN wire. that is the high beam feed.

if you loose low beams, splice the YELLOW and TAN wires together.

Alright, she didn't fail to disappoint this morning but unfortunately the video isn't as entertaining as it wouldn't been at night, what with the low beams switching on and off at the same rate along with the IP dimming in hyper mode:

Crazy K, thanks for the info!! But where would i find those wires? Near the 'convenience centre" above the passenger footwell, or under the steering column?

original engine?

Nah the original 3.1 exploded with great fanfare (and seizing when the bottom end crunked) back at 380,000. I contend that if it hadn't overheated six months before when the radiator drain plug flew away and i kept pressing to get her home in rush hour i'd still have that motor.

that's fucking wierd!!! that to me is more consistant with something like a the circuit breaker turning on and off.

see the panel below the column that has the trunk release button? remove that and look up and to the left of the column.

that's fucking wierd!!! that to me is more consistant with something like a the circuit breaker turning on and off.

see the panel below the column that has the trunk release button? remove that and look up and to the left of the column.

This sounds it because there IS a circuit breaker for the headlights, possibly highs and lows seperately IIRC