Dead batt + jumper cables = BBQ?!?

Nosser

Hi all,

Battery in the Regal went dead sometime in the last couple of weeks since I drove it - I believe the battery was on it's way out when I got the car but it did sucessfully jump start and re-start about a month ago. So I pull out the trusty jumper cables and hook them up - before I can even start the jump car I see a little bluish smoke coming from what appears to be the area under the front exhaust manifold on the passenger side. I immediately grab one of the cables off the terminal before it gets any worse. Cables were hooked up battery to battery and were NOT hooked up in reverse. Could the fact that I hooked up battery to battery have been the problem? I have always done this in the past without incident but maybe that's just my good fortune. I'm hesitant to try hooking it up again in any configuration before I get some feedback.

At the same time the girlfriend was in the the Regal and said at no time did the dash lights come on so the power was not making it into the system. Any ideas what might have caused this? Everything was perfect with the car when parked two weeks ago. Thanks as always!