Remove airbag

thomasjtsi

I have a '99 lumina and I want to get rid of the airbag so that I can put a flat monitor in its place. I am going to hinge the dash cover over the air bag, so when I turn it on a linear actuator will raise it up. I would like to remove it and sell it, but if I have to blow it I will. Any suggestions would be very helpful. :)

Don't blow it in the car! You'll have more problems then. Best thing to do is to disconnect the battery, then pull the airbag fuse and let everything sit, so it all discharges. An airbag is NOT something you want exploding in your face when you're working on it.

You can remove it without blowing it.

Disabling the SIR System

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.

2. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

3. Remove the key from the ignition switch.

4. Remove the IP fuse block door. Refer to Fuse Block in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.

Important

With Fuse 21 removed and the ignition switch in the RUN position, The AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.

5. Remove Fuse 21 from the IP fuse block.

6. Remove the sound insulator-LH. Refer to Instrument Panel Sound Insulators in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.

7. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) from the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.

8. Disconnect the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.

Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System .

2. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil yellow 2-way wiring harness connector at the base of the steering column.

3. Disconnect the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil yellow 2-way wiring harness connector.

4. Remove the two screws from the back of the inflatable restraint steering wheel module using the #30 TORX® driver or equivalent.

5. Remove the inflator module from the steering wheel.

6. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA).

7. Disconnect the inflatable restraint steering wheel module yellow 2-way connector from the SIR steering wheel coil yellow 2-way connector.

Passenger side:

Disabling the SIR System

1. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

2. Remove the key from the ignition switch.

3. Remove the IP fuse block door. Refer to Fuse Block in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.

Important

With Fuse 21 removed and the ignition switch in the RUN position, The AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.

4. Remove Fuse 21 from the IP fuse block.

5. Remove the sound insulator-RH. Refer to Instrument Panel Sound Insulators in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.

6. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) from the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the IP compartment door.

7. Disconnect the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the IP compartment door.

Inflatable Restraint Instrument Panel Module Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution

When you are carrying an undeployed inflator module:

Do not carry the inflator module by the wires or connector on the inflator module

Make sure the bag opening points away from you

When you are storing an undeployed inflator module, make sure the bag opening points away from the surface on which the inflator module rests. When you are storing a steering column, do not rest the column with the bag opening facing down and the column vertical. Provide free space for the air bag to expand in case of an accidental deployment. Otherwise, personal injury may result.

1. Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System .

2. Remove the inflatable restraint IP module trim cover from the instrument panel. Refer to Trim Pad Replacement - IP in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.

3. Lift up on the front edge of the trim cover (1) in order to release the front ball studs (3) from the retaining clips.

4. Pull and lift the trim cover in order to release the rear ball studs (2) from the retaining clips.

5. Remove the inflatable restraint IP module mounting fasteners (3).

6. Remove the inflatable restraint IP module (1) from the cross-car beam (2).

7. Remove the trim cover tether mounting fasteners (3).

8. Remove the trim cover tether (1) from the inflatable restraint IP module (4).

Important

If the inflatable restraint IP module mounting holes or fasteners are damaged to the extent that the module can no longer be properly mounted, use the following repair. Torque the replacement fastener with a hand tool in order to prevent stripping the replacement fastener.

Remove the stripped fastener and discard it.