2000 Intrigue- SES, Brake, ABS lights on- Any way to fix the issues

Dirty Rockstar

Good morning kids!

Alright, so I got my Intrigue a couple months back and I absolutely love it, save for some tweaks I am working on.

However, my SES light has been on since day two, and the brake light all of a sudden came on for no reason. The ABS light has been on since the day of purchase, but I'm not even worried about it.

When I got the car, all four of the wheel bearings were shot. But no lights were on on the dash. The SES came on a few days later and I took it to AutoZone and they hooked it up to their scanner tool. The tool reported back that the SES was caused by the secondary AIR injection system. I researched this a little further, and discovered there are two vacuum solenoids under the hood and an Air pump that injects air into the exhaust to fool the snesor into believing the car is running leaner than it is. (I hope I have that right). Each time the air pump comes on, the headlights will flicker momentarily if they are on, and upon ignition, you can hear the pump. It kinda sounds like a small turbo lol. I assume because the lights flicker, and the pump can be heard, I am needing new vacuum solenoids. But the kicker is, this system is around $250 from GM, and they are the only ones to get it from. I would like to be able to just pull parts myself, but I don't even know if this AIR system is california specific. I learned through research with my favorite GM Dealer (Belzer CHevrolet-Dodge-Kia in Lakeville, MN) that my Intrigue was originally a California car. Is this AIR system CA only or did all intrigues have it? Is there any way to fix this using off the shelf parts? I would like to get this fixed because I have a feeling it is causeing my 17MPG right now. Others have reported abysmal gas mileage with this system out of whack.

Adding to my list of heartache, the Brake Light is on! The car seems to brake fine, and there are no grumbles, groans, or squeals from any wheel. I am wanting to just do the brakes with higher quality pads and rotors anyway, but I want to try and get the light issue nailed down first. This issue popped up after a failed attempt at fixing the wheel bearings took place. They fixed all but on bearing, and after that visit, the light came on. I have had it in the shop three times, twice back to the one where it went when the bearings went out, and anbother time to a different outfit. I'm not too concerned about the ABS light. I think I do better without it anyway. I'll just pull the bulb! :willynilly:

I really love the car, but I can't stand seeing the cluster lit up like a christmas tree. It makes me wonder if I am better off driving the Lumina because it hasn't given me a lick of problems, save for needing a new battery which wasn't even it's fault. Thanks for any help you all can give! :high5: