question Engine light with specifics

Mysteriphys

heya, noticed something on a long drive tonight, and I was hoping maybe someone has had a similar problem and I may be able to diagnose it without paying to have it scanned.

to start: 1994 Cutlass Supreme S 3100 SFI 4t60le

one thing to keep in mind, I think I may have a vacuum leak, but I've checked it over pretty good and I can't tell where it would be coming from, so I'm not sure if that's it, therefore, checking with you all.

Basically, I'm getting a check engine light, it only happens under 3 conditions, long runs of stop and go city driving, hard acceleration (after light city driving) and newly discovered tonight, braking after a long stretch of highway driving, this meaning, hard acceleration onto the highway (no light) possible continued acceleration beyond said highway's speed and about 10-30 K without slowing down (still no light) and then somewhere between using the air drag to slow down and very light braking down to highway speed the light comes on.

as for the questionable part of that, I just wanted to see how it would deal with being run all out, it was surprisingly smooth for the majority, I'm very impressed with my car up to that point :burnout:

does sound like EGR. the PCM tests it when you lift your foot all the way off and tries to see if there is a change in the MAP reading. if it fails in those conditions, its probably EGR solenoid #1, since thats the one it commands on.

Most likely an EGR code, however the EGR is probably working properly.

Buy a gasket, carb cleaner, and little pipe cleaners (http://blog.timesunion.com/philipmorris/files/2006/12/50500_big.jpe). Pull off the EGR, spray down the ports with the carb cleaner, and clean it out with the pipe cleaner. Let it dry (and soak up with a rag), and do it a few times. Should break up the carbon buildup that happens in the passage from the TB to the EGR.

Most likely an EGR code, however the EGR is probably working properly.

Buy a gasket, carb cleaner, and little pipe cleaners (http://blog.timesunion.com/philipmorris/files/2006/12/50500_big.jpe). Pull off the EGR, spray down the ports with the carb cleaner, and clean it out with the pipe cleaner. Let it dry (and soak up with a rag), and do it a few times. Should break up the carbon buildup that happens in the passage from the TB to the EGR.

if thats the problem, that will fix it, however, i just tested the EGRs on the monte and GP yesterday, monte passed all three, GP, solenoid 1 wouldn't move with power applied to it, the rest worked great. explains the intermittent code 32 it used to get.

Thanks guys! sounds pretty definitive, I'll add it to the list of things I need to fix on it now, I got the safety and everything seemed great, now it seems loose and sloppy in the front end >.< oh well, thats how the cookie crumbles after 300,000km