96 Monte Carlo Fuel Level Issue

PCGUY112887

My girlfriend has a 96-99 (forgot which) monte carlo LS with 130k or so on her 3100.

After some time I started to notice that she gets gas... a lot, so we started to watch it. She makes it about 200 miles or less and her fuel level shows as empty. At first I thought she was getting some awful MPG's, but when she fills up she can only put 8-10 gallons in every time until it clicks off. When she starts the car, it reads as full.

I know she has a 16 gallon tank so 6-8 gallons somehow won't go into the tank, or is her fuel gauge is wrong?

Thanks.

i think the year matters. the sender is suppo9sed to be different.

iirc, the year does matter cause of the different sending unit.

if i fill it from a 1/4 tank it takes about 10 gallons give or take to fill it up.

My 96 Lumina is about dead on. At about 100 miles my gauge will show 3/4 tank, 200 miles 1/2 tank, 300 miles 1/4 tank. I usually fill up around 1/4 tank and will fit in ~12 gallons depending on how much road rage I had that previous week :lol:......... :willynilly: I am guessing you haven't changed the cluster in that car? Since the fuel senders changed several times.

i don't have that problem and mine is a 98. but then again i also changed the cluster from the base cluster to one from a monte. i forgot what year it was from.

I'd check out the fuel level sender which depending on what year should be part of the fuel pump in the tank. You may have corroded that sensor and that's why you are getting a bad reading. Also, check the MPG's. I'm sure that you could go further on the gas. I just know when my trip meter gets up around 300 miles, I start looking for a gas station.