Need help with aftermarket alarm/remote start

jman093

The car intermittently does not crank and I've determined it has something to do with the dopey aftermarket alarm/remote start system on the car when I bought it. I don't know how to take it out. There's just a mess of splices and wiring so I don't know what wires to cut and what to hook up where to put it back to factory. When this problem started a few months ago, I just took out the some relays and a switch that were obviously a part of the system. Problem went away for a couple months. Now it's back.

I'm not sure what to do. Could a place that installs these things be know how and be trusted to put it back to factory? Or is anyone familiar with/install these things and maybe know what I need to undo to get rid of this problem? I'm thinking there has got to be some way or some module that is used to bypass the Passkey 2 and this might be my suspect area.

Thanks, Jesse

Sweet, thanks. I didn't even know that existed, a I'm not sure I've ever visited the Car Audio section. Would mine be more complicated with the Passkey II, or is it just a resistor like in the write-up?

It's a system made by "Clifford" No idea what model. Keyless Entry, Alarm, Remote Start.

EDIT: I just found out (by reading the car's Feb 07 COTM page of all things) it is a Clifford Matrix RSX 3.2

So my new question is, is there anywhere I can find installation instructions for this system?

The resistor thing will be the same, assuming it is the 1996 Grand Prix.

If it is made my DEI, which it appears to be, it should be almost 100% identical to the link that I posted.

Basically, just remove what isn't stock. Your starter wire may be cut, but just reconnected it back together.

The problem could be either related to the starter kill or the factory security. What car is this? If its the 96 GP it doesnt have passkey 2, it has the VATS system. Reconnect the large gauge yellow wire if it is cut with a relay on it, that is your starter wire and im assuming thats your problem. Just take out the relay or whatever else thay got in there out and connect the wire back together. As far as the VATS goes there is most likely just a resistor in there. Look for an orange (or possibly black) wire that has two small white wires inside it. There should be a resistor soldered between the two white wires. Measure that resistence and the resistence on the chip on your key and make sure they are the same or close. Resistors can degrade over time and change the resistence.

This was the mess of wiring (most of the modules already removed) was left with after I took off the lower dash panel and clipped off a couple zip ties. This isn't even all of it either. There was more on the other side of the dash and behind the driver side kickpanel.

width=960 height=719http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/87aero/DSC00355.jpg[/img]

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

Thanks for the help guys. I did get it all out today and the car starts and everything including the factory Passkey still works, but what a PIA it was. I'm definitely staying away from these things in the future. I should've known better though because of all the no starts that come into work due to aftermarket alarms and remote starts. Live and learn I guess.