where's that coolant pipe go?

kiwi133

Ok DOHC fellas. For a while, like a year (actually since a GM dealer replaced a metal coolant pipe that runs on the pass side bottom of engine bay) I have been hearing this awful grinding noise comeing from the pass side of the engine bay while accelerating hard and left. Today I went to get the 4 letter chip code so I could order my FFP chip, and while poking around in there i noticed that the coolant pipe runs about 1/16" from touching the outer edge of the alternater pulley! I also saw that the edge of the pully was scraped up and the black paint scraped off the coolant pipe where its close to the pulley. :shock: so I proceeded to rock the car foward and back, rocking the engine, and watched the pulley go "tink, tink, tink" on the coolant pipe.

So my question is, is the pipe supposed to run up behind the pulley (between pulley and firewall) or to the side of the pulley(between pulley and pass side of engine bay)

Currently it resides in a position diagonal to the pulley.

:evil: stupid gm :evil:

Well sounds to me they didn't put it in the right place. I'm pretty sure that pipe is supposed to go above the pully, WAY above it. When I did my DOHC swap that pipe wasn't on my 3100 so we custom made one. We welded it to my engine bay, so if you can get to it with a welder, try to bring it up. How loose is it?

sounds like they put a 3.1 pipe on. they are different. i left the 3.1 pipe on my car and the first time i started it with the 3.4 sparks shot out cause of the alt pulley rubbing. i was able to move it back and use some wire to hold it.