Weird A/C Compressor issue

Grand Moff Joseph

So, my original factory a/c compressor finally died. I took the car to my mechanic and ordered up a compressor kit along with an R-134a conversion kit. All of the parts sent from the supplier work great....except for the compressor. :(

Basically, when my car was built, the compressor used two individual o-rings to seal it up against the manifold. However, mere months into the Lumina production, GM changed compressors to one that uses offset washers to do the job. The problem is the parts suppliers are having a hell of a time finding the right style compressor for my car. What I need is a compressor made for a Lumina that was built in mid-late 1989 (sold as a 1990 model). I can provide pics if I can get by the shop tomorrow.

Any other ideas?

can you provide any pictures of what you are talking about?

In the interim i'll check my parts manual and see what it says.

x2

comparing a 93 compressor to a 94-95 compressor, It sounds like what you describe.

the fitting where it attaches is dimensionally the same, except that the 93 compressor has both fitting sit at the same height where the 94-95 compressor has a small height difference of about 1/8th of an inch.

to elaborate... I had to replace a broken compressor on a 95 with a used one and no proper used ones could be found, so I took a 93 compressor and bolted it on as a glorified dummy pulley. I was able to seal the system by adding two extra factory seals to one port (basically shimming that difference of about 1/8th inch) was sufficient to seal the system until a proper compressor was purchased.

okay according to my lumina parts manual, there were indeed 2 designs of compressor for 1990...

first design -12337082

second design - 12337184

both list for around $450 from the general :eek:

I can't tell the difference on any parts supplier website though.

In the interim i'll check my parts manual and see what it says.

I'll try and stop by the shop tomorrow and get some pics of the old compressor. But, the 1/8th inch differential y'all describe sums it up pretty well. My compressor sits flush to the manifold, the one that they keep getting from the parts warehouse has a small indentation in it as an attachment/sealing widget.

could the housing be modified to work? I know that is rather crass with a part you probably paid a good sum for and would void the warranty, but it might work.

Mechanic said the only safe/reliable way to do it would be to modify the manifold to accept the different setup - it can be done, but at a huge expense.

I'm sure we can track down the part, but will take some deeper investigation. :)

Good news! My mechanic called and said they located the proper compressor from a different supplier. All is well, lol. :lol:

If your compressor died because it blew its guts (most of them fail this way), all the debris would have circulated through the system.

I'd recommend flushing the system, replacing any hose assemblies that have mufflers (mufflers are had to flush), replacing the orifice tube and receiver/drier.