Unidentified electronics...

Quaraxkad

I just pulled out my aftermarket alarm. In the process I found two things I can't identify...

First is this translucent white box under the steering wheel.

img6370h.jpg

Second is a single pin female connector near the battery that isn't connected to anything. The other end disappears into the main wiring harness.

img6372m.jpg

What is that white box, and where is that connector supposed to go?

the box is for your SWRC.

the connector is the test lead for the fuel pump, and should be loose like that.

i thought they were both for the flux capacitor.

the connector is the test lead for the fuel pump, and should be loose like that.

I always wondered what that think was!

I know there is something similar in the trunk to ground out the keyless entry box.

I always wondered what that think was!

I know there is something similar in the trunk to ground out the keyless entry box.

Yes, the thing in trunk is on the same side as the antenna.

I just remembered another thing... Years ago I stripped most of the interior to clean the carpet. I found a cable that had what looked like a coaxial connector, but much smaller than the one on a TV, on one end and the other end was cut. It wasn't connected to anything, and was probably a little over 5 feet long. I just went to look for it and I can't find it now to take a picture, I'll post one later if I find it. If I remember correctly it was on the passenger side. I wanted to say it was above the headliner, but I never removed that so maybe it was actually under the carpet. Any idea what that could have been?

I just remembered another thing... Years ago I stripped most of the interior to clean the carpet. I found a cable that had what looked like a coaxial connector, but much smaller than the one on a TV, on one end and the other end was cut. It wasn't connected to anything, and was probably a little over 5 feet long. I just went to look for it and I can't find it now to take a picture, I'll post one later if I find it. If I remember correctly it was on the passenger side. I wanted to say it was above the headliner, but I never removed that so maybe it was actually under the carpet. Any idea what that could have been?

car phone antenna wire.

car phone antenna wire.

I suspected it was some sort of antenna. Is it normally just cut at one end like that? If there was a carphone installed, where would each end have been connected? Was that a dealer option?

HUD!

Thanks, that's good to know, I want one dearly! Haven't read up on them though, I didn't know the wiring was already in place for it. Is there a thread on them where I can find out more? (Specifically which cars and trims it was available in)

91-94 Cutlass Supreme could come with the HUD that you seek. They should be more plentiful now that 3.4 DOHC W-bodies qualifying for Cash for Clunkers!

What you need are:

1. HUD unit.

2. Dash pad.

3. Metal bracket.

4. Height adjustment cable (goes from HUD dash unit to sport pod).

5. Height/brightness control unit in sport pod.

6. The pocket to the left of the height control unit.

It is really easy to put in a car that's prewired. Just remove old parts, bolt in new parts.

91-94 Cutlass Supreme could come with the HUD that you seek. They should be more plentiful now that 3.4 DOHC W-bodies qualifying for Cash for Clunkers!

What you need are:

1. HUD unit.

2. Dash pad.

3. Metal bracket.

4. Height adjustment cable (goes from HUD dash unit to sport pod).

5. Height/brightness control unit in sport pod.

6. The pocket to the left of the height control unit.

It is really easy to put in a car that's prewired. Just remove old parts, bolt in new parts.

Thanks, that's good to know.

I skimmed through the thread about the HUDs and saw that there are 4 versions of them. Is the 91-94 CS model the only one I should look for? Would any of the others work as well (with or without modifications)? I'm also looking into adding the digital cluster and a DIC. I read that some HUDs were controlled by the DIC, does that change which HUD I need to look for?

Information on the DIC seems pretty sparse, what cars can I get one out of that will be work in my 92 CS? From what I've been able to gather, the DIC was only used up to 91 in the CS. What about other versions of these from different cars? Are any of them compatable?

And one quick question on the digital cluster... I've seen both the 88-91 CS cluster and the Buick Regal cluster refered to as UB3, but they're both different. Are they both really called UB3?

I got the GTP HUD in last week. Everything works except the fuel light was always on until I clipped the wire. Damn 94+ ECM. Switch is in a funky spot but it's only temporary.

mar7clean001.jpg

you could be ghetto.... but yes, you should try to get a 91-94 CS Hud, but if you find a 88-90 type, it will work also...

UB3 is the option name. all the cars could have had a UB3 cluster, it simply specifies a fully optioned cluster and can be digital or analog.

technically, the 88-91 CS UB3 fully digital cluster is a "pseudo-analog digital cluster", because it gives you relatively precise readings, but unlike true analog the readings can only be to the nearest mark as provided by the "pixels".

91-94 CS HUD is the only one that's 100% bolt-in. 91-93 Grand Prix HUD is electronically the same, but it has a different outer cover. You could use the chassis of a 91-93 GP HUD to repair a dead CS HUD by just swapping the cover, but the cover is different enough you'll want the CS one. I had thought about modifying a GP one before since I have a spare, but I didn't think it would look quite right so I bought the correct CS ones. The HUDs weren't DIC controlled, but the control panel sits next to the DIC. If you had the DIC, it would sit on the left side, eliminating the pocket.

DIC (or actually called DIS in the CS... for Driver Information System) would work from an 89-91. I doubt your car is prewired since the DIS was never offered in 92 (my 94 vert was NOT prewired). Interestingly, I noticed 1990 base 4-door cars seemed to be prewired for them, so if you need, you can snip a pigtail out of a 4dr. That's what I did for my '94... I snipped the pigtails out of my stepbro's 90 4dr. It didn't have a DIS anyway, so he didn't have any need for those connectors. :)

Yeah, they were both called UB3. I think UB3 was just a generic RPO code for "sport cluster with gauges" or something like that. Most of us W-body nerds here will know what you're talking about if you just say UB3. ;)

As Ken said, 88-90 CS HUD would physically fit, but it has different connectors and isn't a simple bolt-in. 91-94 HUDs aren't that hard to find so I'd get the right one.

Thank you both, that ties up a lot of the loose ends that I wanted to figure out before looking for any parts.

One more thing about the DIS (is this the one I'm looking for?): I'm pretty sure my car isn't prewired for it, I've had the the whole interior stripped and didn't find any extra plugs in that area. Is there a wiring diagram for it somewhere? Or at least a breakdown of what wire in the pigtail goes to what?