a/c question

jake91

okay so my a/c is great when driving down the highway, and good when driving in town, but if i stop the car for more than a minute it sucks. i have to just shut it off because it feels like its just blowing the outside air with no cooling at all. what could cause this. low freon mabey? or is it just how a normal w-body a/c works

tia

Jake

okay so my a/c is great when driving down the highway, and good when driving in town, but if i stop the car for more than a minute it sucks. i have to just shut it off because it feels like its just blowing the outside air with no cooling at all. what could cause this. low freon mabey? or is it just how a normal w-body a/c works

tia

Jake

I'm going to guess low freon, or a possibly clogged orifice tube. check the pressure on the line.

watch your compressor as it runs, does the clutch kick in and out at idle? that can be a sign of low freon.

but a cheap set of manifold gauges are your best friend to see how its really performing.

i can hear it kick in and out so it must be low. my nieghbor has those guages so i will see if he will check it for me. thanks alot guys. also did these cars have a freon system or that r-134 or whatever it is in them in 94, and if it is freon can you still have those filled anymore or do you have to convert it