Gentex 120 AutoDim/Compass mirror woes

Dirty Rockstar

Hey guys. I Have a Gentex 120 Auto Dim compass combo mirror, and I do not have it hooked up. I am afraid to! My model has the two plus on the back of the mirror instead of one big one. Why I am worried about hookin it in is because I had one before it and when I hooked it up with a wiring diagram, all the fluid seeped out and the compass never worked. I want to make sure I do it right because this is two of two and I dont have the time to try finding another one! Can anyone around here lend some pointers on it? Thanks a lot guys! :burnout:

Without even seeing it, I can almost guarantee that the other harness/wires you're referring to are for the side rear view dimming mirrors. This was an option on several higher end cars. They actually still relayed/relied on info from the actual inside rear view mirror, so they had wires running to it. You're not going to need those. As long as you don't have OnStar, or HomeLink, or anything like that on the mirror, any self dimming, self dimming with compass, or self dimming with compass and outside temp should require nothing more than one ground/negative, and a positive running to a source that comes on with either ignition, or accessories.

And I'd be curious as to what your last mirror was, too. Even when wired wrong, or on the rare occasion they fail, I've never heard of liquid leaking out of Gentex mirrors.

i have tried to wire a few auto dim compass mirrors with the same luck as the OP. the compass never works and 12v to the dimmer melts the inside instantaneosly.

Half the fluid leaked out of my Donnelly autodimming lighted compass mirror. I paid almost $200 for that POS. I don't know why I wanted it so bad. If it didn't seep out immediately, maybe it just went bad.

Never had a problem with the Gentex mirrors, other than the ones for Intrigues aren't designed for BCM-less cars and will slowly drain the battery.

The connections to a Gentex mirror (with comp and temp). The connector pin numbers are found on the wire incursion side of the mating connector.

GM / wire harness color / function

PIN 1 / PINK / POWER +12 volts

PIN 2 / BK / CHASSIS, GND

PIN 3 / LT GRN / BACKUP LIGHTS

PIN 4 /GY / TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR

PIN 5 / PINK / TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR

PIN 6 / DR GRN/WT / TEMP PROBE

PIN 7 / BK/WT / TEMP PROBE

Note: Pin 3 is to be connected to the backup lights to turn off the auto dim feature in reverse.

I have been told that "If you intend not to use this feature connect the LT GRN wire to chassis ground. If this pin is floating the auto dim will not work properly." I have not connected this yet and it seems to function propoerly except of turning off the auto dimm when the vehicle is put into reverse. Hope this helps.

sweet, i have a gentex, i need a harness now. so in any other car all it needs is the pink (12V) and black (ground) to work as a compass and auto dim?

Yes, all you need for the compass and autodim to work is 12v and ground.

• 2 years later...

i cant seem to get my compass to read correctly. it powers up fine and the autodim works great.. just says im always going north. it will read other directions but changes back to north. any help on tis 1?

i cant seem to get my compass to read correctly. it powers up fine and the autodim works great.. just says im always going north. it will read other directions but changes back to north. any help on tis 1?

So if you always parked your car facing North, it works correctly?:lol:

I do not buy Donnelly mirrors. If they arent out of business by now I would be surprised. I have excellent luck with gentex. I have wired up countless gentex without any problems.