FFP Underdrive Pully Good or bad?

sonyman87

definately. but your system might not stay for long. it will make all accesories turn slower, producing less power from your alt. so maybe not a big deal, it wont hurt the car under factory standards, but with my rear mount battery and 2 10" subs with a small jensen amp, the UD pulley ate alternators left and right. 3 in 4 months. :evil: so no more system for me. but you might be able to still do it so long as your battery stays up front.

but definately worth the money as far as more power gos. hard to install tho. use only 6pt. sockets and you will need an air gun.

So if my battery stays where it be in front and i add the underdrive pulley am i gonna burn up my alt cuz im running a 760W amp pushing 2 10inch sony explods but know where near full power of the amp. The top goin up and down uses more battery than the amp does.

I have one on my 3.1 and love'd it. It freed up a noticeable amount of power. And my volt gauge hasnt even moved since the mod. The voltage only went down like .10 volts when they tested it out which isnt much.

I have one on my 3.1 and love'd it. It freed up a noticeable amount of power. And my volt gauge hasnt even moved since the mod. The voltage only went down like .10 volts when they tested it out which isnt much.

dude. thnk about it. the 3.1 has a bigger alt stock than the 3.4, cuz remember where the 3.4's is? oh yah, thats also y we are so worried about it going out, cuz it aint easy to change, not like youd know.

dude. thnk about it. the 3.1 has a bigger alt stock than the 3.4, cuz remember where the 3.4's is? oh yah, thats also y we are so worried about it going out, cuz it aint easy to change, not like youd know.

Not like I'd know? :lol: Give me a break dude. Aside from the fact that i actually DO know, topics are always being posted on here regarding its location. And i was responding to the initial question of whether or not the pulley was worth it.

Aaron, you are the biggest moron i have ever met... the 3.1 and the 3.4 use the same damn alt. They both use a CS130 case. Both are either 100 or 105 amp. Since both UD pulleys are 18% smaller, the alts are going to be slowed down about the same on the 3.4 and 3.4. The only reason the 3.4 alt put out less is because of the location. The hotter the alt gets, the higher the resistance in the windings get and the less it puts out. Aaron, you should really try shutting the hell up sometime... you’ll like less of an a$$

Aaron, you are the biggest moron i have ever met... the 3.1 and the 3.4 use the same damn alt. They both use a CS130 case. Both are either 100 or 105 amp. Since both UD pulleys are 18% smaller, the alts are going to be slowed down about the same on the 3.4 and 3.4. The only reason the 3.4 alt put out less is because of the location. The hotter the alt gets, the higher the resistance in the windings get and the less it puts out.

yeah, I've noticed that.... when my Z is at running temp, the volt meter is giving me 12 volts even :?

maybe if I were to switch it with the A/C compressor.... would that work? if it did, the alt would last longer, probably, and be a helluva lot easier to change... *ponders*

the AC unit wouldnt fit where the lat is. i have my motor out so i can see everything, and the lines would be a real pain to run. but, you could try. and it really isnt even that hard to change, so long as you know what you are doing. i did my last one in just under 4 hours :P

why not measure your alt pulley size! they sale them for j-bodies so it could be a thing to try. GM parts aren't usually that different. I got an a/c elimintor pulley off a 2.2L cavalier and it fits perfect.

i run a 1200 watt system in the trunk with a 1farad cap. the power draw is Right on 80amps!!! i tried 60amp fuses and those blow really easy. i went to a comp once with an 80 amp and melted the fusebox, and the soder in side the fuse luckly it didnt blow during the comp.. used it only for 1 min total. The lights still dim even with the car on at times. the alt has ~35,000 miles on it now. :shock: man i just changed it 2 summers ago...its a 105amp.

Then again if i do put the pully in it would be for performance reasons and i would deffinatly want a ligher system

i run a 1200 watt system in the trunk with a 1farad cap. the power draw is Right on 80amps!!! i tried 60amp fuses and those blow really easy. i went to a comp once with an 80 amp and melted the fusebox, and the soder in side the fuse luckly it didnt blow during the comp.. used it only for 1 min total. The lights still dim even with the car on at times. the alt has ~35,000 miles on it now. :shock: man i just changed it 2 summers ago...its a 105amp.

Then again if i do put the pully in it would be for performance reasons and i would deffinatly want a ligher system

that doesn't sound normal... o.O but, you could always get a 2farad cap.