Lost my low end, need help

fleetwoodguy79

Ok, all the porting work I've done to this 3.4 DOHC has really hurt the low end. The motor is badass at about 4k rpms and above, but the low end really sucks. How can I make up for this? Whats the best thing to do to get more torque while keeping the top end? Thanks

quit worrying bout' it and race everyone from a roll :wink: ..or get some nitrous oxide to help you merge onto freeways and the like... :wink:

EDIT: or...just gut the car's interior, you'll feel a difference then!

i noticed the same thing, any thing that i do to the intake have hurt my off the line power, it really pisses me off. the porting on my car has helped alot in the higher rpms but all i get off the line is a cherp and then a slow drag to about 25. god what i wouldnt give for a manual trans. i know it has power cuz if you get the tires spining(going about 5 into a curve and keeping the wheel turned till they break loose) they roast really fast through first and a little bit threw second.

hey good luck and if you find any thing other then a 3800 sc motor let me know

Well here is my conclusion... I am going to either swap in a manual tranny, or there is a high stall performance torque converter that http://www.protorque.com/prodln/pl_po.htm these people make. Supposedly it could be the MOST productive mod you could put on your car and it makes perfect sense. Now I've just got a serious debate here! Anyone got one of these tq conv?

the torque converter will definitely help off the line. It should be an awesome mod in combination with the porting you've already done. Two other things to try- underdrive pulley and CAI. When I had an open filter in the engine compartment, my low end sucked. Once I put the cone in a box that drew in cold air, I got back a TON of low end.

Tim

Thanks for the tip, I am currently looking into the CAI mod. Do any of you have some pictures of the ones you have made? Where do you get the air from? I would love to make my own, but I need some help as to the best parts to use etc, thanks again!

I never did get any pictures of it. I'd made it out of plexi and was sucking air through the hole behind my drivers side headlight. The tubing was dryer duct and the fitting on the end og the cai for the tubing was one of those metal roofing things that seals to pipes coming out of the roof. It was ghetto, but it worked awesome. If I did it again, I'd probably use a heatgun to mold the plexi instead of cutting and screwing it together.

Tim

The stall converter would help you out a huge amount. I put a 2000 stall in my Ventura, you can powerbrake that thing right to 2K, then launch. See what rpm your car seems to hit it's powerband, then get a converter near that range. Remember, stall converters increase heat, so a ext. cooler would be a smart add-on too.

hahahahaha. my low end sucks as well, but it only hurts me for a couple seconds. then its bye bye mustang. i hit about 4300 rpms at 20mph, thats when id race people. and i pick up really well after 3200. plus i can get tire spin off the line, and FWDs still pull forward while spinning, so that gets the rpm's up. thats what i did on my 14.78 run. so yah, id definately do the 5-speed swap. plus youll only drop to like 4500 between shifts.