Differences in years 97-03 Grand Prix

xtremerevolution

I could have sworn I saw a thread about this, but I searched and couldn't find it.

My cousin is considering getting a 97 Grand Prix GT, 70k miles, for $3k.

Anything I need to know about? I remember hearing about some issues with the 97 models.

the 97's are considered factory freaks. they tend to have more of the strange issues that are hard to diagnose.

the notable differences for the 97 GT are that it has a 4t60-e trans, not the 4t65-e. and all 97's have a different PCM than the 98+.

The PCM is physically different, the coolant reservoir bottle is physically different (and in a different location) and they had a different DICs. Just a lot of little things like that (can't remember the rest off the top of my head) which won't be interchangeable with other GPs.

BTW, Steve: In that page you linked to, you may want to clarify that there was also a Daytona edition in 2000 (same exact appearance package as the '01 SE & '02 40th, minus the wheels), as well as a Limited Edition package in '03. Here's some info on the LE from one of my brochures.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/RareGMFan/GPLE.jpg

I'd be willing to do a detailed write up on all the differences between the appearance packages throughout the years, complete with photos and stats, as time permits.

Please dont buy a 97........

They come in often and require a large amount of thought and repair.

Get something 99+

That's pretty much what I wanted to hear when I created this thread.

Thanks man. Yeah Andrei, we are down for detailing, then we are down to have all our work ruined by having the whole dam car plastered with that can spray crap. We still down to bust a cap in Mia?

Envy the car too, almost bought myself one of the 04's but it was ultimately decided that I didnt have enough money to dish out for them, maybe one day in the future :rolleyes:

Envy the car too, almost bought myself one of the 04's but it was ultimately decided that I didnt have enough money to dish out for them, maybe one day in the future :rolleyes:

Don't envy, 04+'s seem to have a gremlin from the factory limiting power and fucking up shifts and NO ONE can seem to figure it out... There's a decent thread going on GPONA discussing it... hopefully someone figures it out cause its annoying as HELL!

Thanks man. Yeah Andrei, we are down for detailing, then we are down to have all our work ruined by having the whole dam car plastered with that can spray crap. We still down to bust a cap in Mia?

lol, don't worry about it. All she sprayed was the hood, and I wiped it all off. Still annoying as hell though. I don't see why old grandmas who have absolutely no automotive experience think that their home shopping network aerosol can spray is superior to 3 hours of claybar and polish with a powerball.