Custom headers

92turboLE

SO...

this may sound stupid, but when i get my new engine put back together, i am thinking about doing some custom exhaust manifolds. The way i see it, i dont know too much about flow dynamics when it comes to exhaust, but anything can be better then the headers on there right now... they just look pretty cheese-dick to me. so i may pick up another set at a j/y and cut off the flange and go to town with some piping and a welder and see what i can come up with.

Any suggestions??? Anyone know anything about making headers or anything that i should know about how they are supposed to flow??? any tips, techniques, anything is welcome.

thanks

- Justin

Not dumb at all, just difficult, I'm sure we would all like a set. I've contemplated making my own set a few times. We have a mig welder and a pipe bender at work, I've thought about trying something when and if I ever get the engine I'm building ready.

I know this isn't gonna help a ton, but this is some info that I have gathered. All the pipes have to be the same length when they are collected in the collector. Shorty headers may actually hurt performance, but I know this applies to v8's, not sure on 6's. Don't get a short collector, the longer, the better. If you think about it, it makes sense. If the tubing is too big, it will hurt performance, same applies if its too small. I'll see what I can come up with in the size of the tubing area, just give me some numbers: 1: Which engine, 2: How much estimated power?

I was thinking about 1 1/4 inch pipe into 3 1/2 inch collectors, you can tune for correct back pressure by using a back pressure gauge inserted into an oxygen sensor fitting. 3400, SFI not sure of which cam yet, but already have the block punched 40 over and higher compression pistons installed.

It's going to be trial and error for sure.

Yea go long on the tubes and make sure they are all the right size. I read on article i dont remember where ill try and find it on creating your own headers. there was a kit you could order that came with a bunch of plumping you could use and wire i believe to route them. I remember reading the guy took wire and used that as the center of the pipe and then moved the pieces of each wire into different areas to route the tubes so they would be equal length. Its hard to explain ill try and get the link.

I think I have a 60* book somewhere here that lists ideal sizes for headers for our engines..I'll see if I can dig that book out of my storage shed while I'm hoarding away some more parts in there tomorrow

Aside from the specs from that book (post right above me), talk to Ben (Vegeta). He from what i knew, was the one with the info for the headers. Over on the 60V6 board he was trying to get a company to do them for us. So try and get a hold of him, if you can,lol.

ok, well if i get the headers done and they are success ful - depending on how many of you want them, if i get a considerable intrest and can get a group buy thing going on, i will make them, otherise, i will post all plans, sketches, designes, materials, ect. If i can get say 10 or 15 ppl for sure, then i would be happy to make them for as inexpensive as i possibly can justify.

lemme know intrest.

- Justin

I think I have a 60* book somewhere here that lists ideal sizes for headers for our engines..I'll see if I can dig that book out of my storage shed while I'm hoarding away some more parts in there tomorrow

yeah, you should really find that book for me :D

- Justin