Freeze-12

zrothauser

What steps should be done when converting an R12 based system to use Freeze-12?

The compressor starts if manually activated, and the system still has some pressure, and may just need to be recharged.

Should the fittings from the original R12 be changed, and should the system oil be changed?

Technically everything that should be done when converting to R134a should be done.

If you're going to do a proper conversion, you should really consider using R134a instead. For what it's worth, I've seen pretty much identical cooling performance with either refrigerant in a system originally designed for R12 refrigerant. R134a is cheaper, more commonly available, and if you ever need a shop to work on the AC for you, they will if it has R134a in it. If they know it has Freeze 12 in it, they will not work on the ac. :wink:

freeze12 is a blend refrigerant... it has 80% 134a. The oil used is ester oil. just retro fit the system to 134a. evac the system, get a new accumulator from a 94+ car for 134a, new green o-rings, orafis tube, can of ester oil and you're good. maybe 35 dollars total and an hour of time.

I would just use R-134a.

It sounds like you have a leak. To fix it right, you need to find the leak.

If you're going to open and vacuum the system anyway, you might consider putting in a R-134a control valve. They are super easy to replace, all you need are snap-ring pliers. It controls the swash plate in relation to the pressure and temperature of the refrigerant. R-12 and R-134a have a slightly different Pressure Temperature relationship. The control valve is also the 2nd most common cause of V5 compressor failure so replacing it while you can could be good problem prevention (1st most common prob is the shaft seal).

my post disappeared? :willynilly:

I introduced Zachary to the board and am the one who checked his system. IMO it must have been a long term slow leak, as the system still hold residual pressure and the compressor still works.

I was hoping Brain P would chime in, as I talked to him about freeze 12 before...