Digital Dash to Analog (88 Regal)

Liquid_Neon_00

Well $30 later and a 30minute trip to my biggest local boneyard... i have a fresh analog dash cluster from a 90-92 regal custom. got the full analog dash system, temp, oil press, and voltmeter!

Funny thing is how everything is basically plug and play minues the fact that my car didnt have a pressure sender, just a pressure switch (dummy light not guage) so i need to swap that sensor when I get a chance. the oil press shows like 80-90psi hahaha since my switch only sends full or no voltage. The coolant sensor is non existent on my model too, so i gotta try to find a way to hook one up.

Also, my rpm gauge doesn't work.. that one strikes me as weird.... what do 2.8L use to detect revs? No distributor, could my cam sensor (if it has one) be fried? Silly for a mechanic who works at chevy to ask that... but im not really into the old ones as much. At least I can get great discounts :biggrin:

THANKS FOR READING!!!

The an ORANGE wire is the tach wire, which SHOULD be on the donor's car plug (i hope you took it, if not... GO BACK AND GET IT) and that orange wire should be run to the ALDL connector to the orange wire there. the digi clusters pull the info for the tach from a datastream.the preceding info applied only to full digital clusters.

you will have to add a wire in for the tach. it is a white wire, and on your car it stops at the C100 firewall connector and does not enter the interior. if you full the connector from teh firewall and a nwire that does not continue into the car and it is white, that is your wire.

The temp sensor must be changed. the one for a cluster on your car is located on the driver's side rear corner of the rear head. single green wire, can't miss it. you need the one for a gauge, and not an idiot light.

The oil pressure sensor is a "switch" on base models(short). you need to get a "sender" type sensor(long) and the sensor is located right above the oil filter.

I want to see one of these [FULL DIGITAL CLUSTERS] run!!!! but you got the full anaolg which is still better than a base digital.

chances are it was the base digital cluster witch is FTL.

woulden't the analog cluster need its signal from the ICM and not the ALDL?

chances are it was the base digital cluster witch is FTL.

woulden't the analog cluster need its signal from the ICM and not the ALDL?

I EPIC FAILED!!!!!

going back to fix it....

Thanks for the locates.. I already knew where the pressure switch was... I had to replace it one day when it exploded oil EVERYWHERE.

What do ya mean "I wanna see one of these things run"? I drive my regal every day...

I will have to check on that orange wire tomorrow or whenever i feel like tearing into the dash again.

oooh yeah, how common is it for these things to lack dash lights even when the fuses are good? I really dont wanna go wire hunting with my multi meter and a diagram...

Oh yeah... its was a base cluster with NOTHING but idiot lights, a fuel gauge, and a broken speedo. Not even a temp gauge!? I was insulted that a car lacked even THAT!

Thanks for the locates.. I already knew where the pressure switch was... I had to replace it one day when it exploded oil EVERYWHERE.

What do ya mean "I wanna see one of these things run"? I drive my regal every day...

I will have to check on that orange wire tomorrow or whenever i feel like tearing into the dash again.

oooh yeah, how common is it for these things to lack dash lights even when the fuses are good? I really dont wanna go wire hunting with my multi meter and a diagram...

I was referring to the AWESOME fully version of the digital cluster. not the car... :lol:

bulbs being burnt out is very common.

I want to see one of these [FULL DIGITAL CLUSTERS] run!!!! but you got the full anaolg which is still better than a base digital.

you will see pictures of one soon :wink:

you will see pictures of one soon :wink:

CAN I DRIVE IT IF I VISIT???? riding shotgun can be accepted too...

Are there pin outs floating around this site so i can wire in this rpm signal? Or do i have to look in alldata at work... i hate alldata on older cars :P

Odd thing to note, the dash seems to work great exept the tripometer doesnt work :( not that my old digidash had one, but still is lame. good thing thoguh is my car now has 67970 miles :twisted:

None that I could find. a factory service manual would be a huge help, and I don't have one for a regal.

I just finished doing the full digital gauge swap, and I used a cutlass digital diagram and kinda figured it out from there,

One more thing i just thought of... the sensor type are still the same number of terminals as the switch type for oil and coolant? I'll find out monday when i get to work and check with the parts guy. Im asuming yes, since GM was kind enough to use the same wire harness for digidash and analog.

One more thing i just thought of... the sensor type are still the same number of terminals as the switch type for oil and coolant? I'll find out monday when i get to work and check with the parts guy. Im asuming yes, since GM was kind enough to use the same wire harness for digidash and analog.

yes.

Are there pin outs floating around this site so i can wire in this rpm signal? Or do i have to look in alldata at work... i hate alldata on older cars :P

Odd thing to note, the dash seems to work great exept the tripometer doesnt work :( not that my old digidash had one, but still is lame. good thing thoguh is my car now has 67970 miles :twisted:

you will have to add a wire in for the tach. it is a white wire, and on your car it stops at the C100 firewall connector and does not enter the interior. if you pull the connector from the firewall and a wire that does not continue into the car and it is white, that is your wire.