fuel line pressure??

canusa

ok i got a tester.. and this is what it says after i turn the key on. i can hear the fuel pump turn on.

fuelpressure.jpg that can't be goodcan it .. isn't it supposed to be around 30-40 psi??

-canusa

Pull the vacuum line on your regulator, if fuel comes out, then its bad. But, more than likely, I bet the fuel pump is crapping out. Have you had any problems with the car, like it wont start or dies or anything like that?

Robby

That's bad! You either have a BADLY stuck open injector, a bad fuel pump, or completely clogged fuel filter.

Fuel pump is most likely. I think a leaky injector would still allow some pressure to build up and then would bleed off. A completely clogged filter is very rare with today's cleaner fuels.

I had a bad fuel pressure regulator, and it DID leak fuel out the vacuum line, but it still allowed a helluva lot more fuel pressure to build up than is showing on that gauge.

You will have to drop the tank to change the pump.

Not sure on the older cars, but my '95 runs at 55 pounds and only drops slightly under normal driving. never less than 50. Some variation is normal, but I'd say the minimum without problems of some sort would be around 40 psi.

got the car started... went up to about 17-18 psi.. that's it. Pulled teh vacuum line on the pressure regulator.. no fuel came out. so from what everyone is telling me it's the fuel pump?

First you depressurize the system by pressing the schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Then you jack up the rear of the car. It will be much easier if you empty the tank. You might try doing this by disconnecting the filter and having it pour into a container. Then short the red fuel pump prime wire (underhood close to the relay) to the aux batt terminal to run the pump and pump out what fuel is left in the tank. If you're concerned about sparks, flipping the ignition switch several times might work.

Once the tank is empty, disconnect the filler and vent hoses. Remove bolts that hold tank straps on. The tank should now lower enough that you can disconnect fuel lines and pull the tank out. Now you can remove a locking ring and pull the fuel pump assembly and swap out the pump.

Reinstall is basically the reverse of disassembly. I found it easiest to lift the tank back into the car using a jack and cushioning the tank with a piece of flat wood.

Reassembly is actually tons easier than disassembly. I had a hard time getting the rubber hoses off the tank, they were stuck TIGHT!

yup changed the pump.. pain in the ass.. hard to do by yourself. the floor jack helped though. she purrs like a kitten again... or roars like a lion.. either way . happy to have it running again. for now at least.