Finicky sunroof?

tornado_735

Hey all,

I have noticed here lately that my sunroof is beginning to act up. I press the button to open/vent/close it, and most of the time it works. Here lately though, it's not been wanting to move. I can hear a relay click, but the sunroof doesn't budge. Sometimes, I don't hear the relay click and again, the sunroof doesn't budge. So I'm figuring I'm in for a motor soon. Problem is, I can't find anywhere in the manual about where the motor is located. And if that bastard goes completely out while open, and it's raining, then I'm going to be in trouble.

Does anyone know where the motor is, and if so, is there a way to manually open and close the sunroof? Just until I can afford a new motor of course.

Thanks!

Aaron

Assuming that the car in question is a first gen...The motor and relay is located around the switch area on the other side of the head liner. IIRC, the motor and relay assembly are one unit, but could be separated easily. The hardest part of getting to this would be dropping the headliner, which really isn't all that bad. As for closing the roof manually....I believe that it could be done if you remove the motor, otherwise it would be a no go. From what I recall, it is a worm gear type drive system.

When I had my '98 LTZ, they had a screw that you could turn with a flat blade screwdriver to crank the sunroof closed manually, even with the motor installed. I can't imagine this would be any different.

Assuming that the car in question is a first gen...The motor and relay is located around the switch area on the other side of the head liner. IIRC, the motor and relay assembly are one unit, but could be separated easily. The hardest part of getting to this would be dropping the headliner, which really isn't all that bad. As for closing the roof manually....I believe that it could be done if you remove the motor, otherwise it would be a no go. From what I recall, it is a worm gear type drive system.

'94 GP.

Thanks