How would i know if i have too much oil in my ac system?

SrMichi

Every time i have the ac on i sometimes hear this weird noise when i accelerate it sometimes makes me feel like the belt might break and i accelerate slow as hell or just plain turn my ac off. yesterday i open my hood while the car was running with the ac on and saw the tensioner moving like crazy. then i turned the ac off and went back to normal(tensioner is new) so do you guys think it has too much oil or something else might be causing this problem?

I put in a new compressor, dyer, officer tube. and I'm not quite sure how much oil.

Well you are supposed to fill the compressor with oil when you replace it... I think anyways. That's what I heard. The problems you described seem normal though...

There's not any way to tell if there's too much oil in the system short of taking the compressor off and seeing if some overly large amount of oil can be poured out of it.

It sounds to me like the compressor is locking up though. Did you get an ACDelco or cheap aftermarket?

I got a remfd one from napa it has some kind of warranty but i need to check for how long.

Does anyone know for how long they give warranties on compressors? OH Btw i got it 4/20/08 so i am screwed on the warranty?

where does most of the oil sit when the ac system is off?

The oil is mainly used by the compressor, but there's likely to be a lot in the condenser and drier also. The only way to really measure how much is in there is to flush the whole system and refill.

okay what is causing my compressor to seize? is there another solution than getting a new compressor can this one still be saved?

where does most of the oil sit when the ac system is off?

The oil is mainly used by the compressor, but there's likely to be a lot in the condenser and drier also. The only way to really measure how much is in there is to flush the whole system and refill.

How would flush my system

How would flush my system

If you want to do it yourself, there are cans of stuff at parts stores you can use. Follow the directions on the can, it will tell you what hoses to disconnect and what parts you can and can't flush. You basically have to do each part individually. Some cans require the use of an air compressor. An AC shop can probably do it for you also. It's probably not even worth the effort.

EDIT: You'll have to take your car to a shop to have it discharged first anyway, it's really meant for cleaning AC parts before installation.