GTP BBQ (pics)

sl3196

Had a fire coming into work this morning. Pulling into the shop the car died then smoke started pouring from under the hood. Luckly I had a 2 gallon water jug handy and got it put out. I got really lucky only had to replace both battery cables. Sucks my hood has a burn spot now. Kinda mad at myself cause the stereo wiring was what caused it. I've had it connected for years like that at the fuse box and never a problem then all the sudden it grounds out on the hood. So definatly watch how you wire shit! :lol:

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

that sucks, and ive seen stereo wires do that before. i watched a car compleatly burn up due to bad amp wiring.

damn lucky you had some water handy.

Just get the hood repainted when you do your rear bumper cover.

Sucks Dan. At least the whole car didn't burn down.

Ya no shit. We had a 20lb fire extinguisher on hand too. I think its time to put one in the car heh.

I was thinking, where's your fuse son, then I realized/ seen how it was routed. Damn. well, could have been much worse. At least it wasn't an official L67BBQ. That would've been harder to extinguish.

After seeing that, I wonder just how many other BBQ'ed 3800 cars went up in flames due to some kind of electrical fire rather than the official oil leak.

jeez that sucks NOW i really dont want to hook up my amp and shit. Maybe my car will catch fire :eek:

hook up the power cable to the remote terminal on the driver side of the engine bay, you shouldn't have any arcing issues like that, at least i never have...

jeez that sucks NOW i really dont want to hook up my amp and shit. Maybe my car will catch fire :eek:

hook up the power cable to the remote terminal on the driver side of the engine bay, you shouldn't have any arcing issues like that, at least i never have...

Yeah I never had any issues over there either with my Lumina. That sucks Dan!!!! :(

Aww, so it wasn't actually a WTFOMGBBQ.

*Saar sighs*

What, disappointed? :roll:

looks like the metal ring inside the plastic housing is what grounded to the hood normally that shouldnt happen but it sucks when dumb shit like this happens, i know i will be more careful when wiring now.

really sorry to hear this happen.

What i typically see is power wire for the amp running through the door jamb becasue people are to stupid or lazy to run it through the firewall. Thats just asking for a problem, especially when they have no fuse on it :eek:

What i typically see is power wire for the amp running through the door jamb becasue people are to stupid or lazy to run it through the firewall. Thats just asking for a problem, especially when they have no fuse on it :eek:

:facepalm:

there are quite a few grommets on Ws that will work...

i have 2 8-guage wires running through the grommet right behind/next to the brake booster...

to not do it correctly, you HAVE to be lazy.

my dad's tahoe had subwoofers/amps from the previous owner and it was "professionally installed" with the power wires for the amp being run through the wheel wells... :facepalm:

i fixed and discovered that shit when i was wiring his truck for a trailer.

:facepalm:

there are quite a few grommets on Ws that will work...

i have 2 8-guage wires running through the grommet right behind/next to the brake booster...

to not do it correctly, you HAVE to be lazy.

my dad's tahoe had subwoofers/amps from the previous owner and it was "professionally installed" with the power wires for the amp being run through the wheel wells... :facepalm:

i fixed and discovered that shit when i was wiring his truck for a trailer.

Through the wheel well?!? Thats a new one on me! If it truly was professionally done then thats sad that the truck was allowed to leave the shop like that. I would say at least 8 out of 10 people that come into my work with systems they installed themselves, or attempted to install have the power wire running through the door jamb. Most of the time these cars have LARGE grommets that could easily accommodate a 4 gauge wire. I would understand more if the car was like my Park Ave. That firewall was a bitch and a half to get through.

Through the wheel well?!? Thats a new one on me! If it truly was professionally done then thats sad that the truck was allowed to leave the shop like that. I would say at least 8 out of 10 people that come into my work with systems they installed themselves, or attempted to install have the power wire running through the door jamb. Most of the time these cars have LARGE grommets that could easily accommodate a 4 gauge wire. I would understand more if the car was like my Park Ave. That firewall was a bitch and a half to get through.

note the "professional" quality means a shop in the ghetto. i have yet to find a vehicle i can't pass a wire through correctly...

BTW: their idea of correctly splicing wire involves electrical tape and zip ties :eek: from an 8 guage to a 12...

i guess the term "distribution block" was failed to be mentioned during "training"

EDIT: and i guess i should mention that they didn't bother to hide any wires either(ALL of it was exposed to even the most untrained eye), had the RCAs twisted around the power cable, no fuses, drilled a hole in the door panels and hot glued tweeters in right at eye level.... i guess if thats professional quality, i'm the god of car audio installations and i should be charging upwards of $1000 for labor alone :lol: i make my shit look good.

EDIT: and i guess i should mention that they didn't bother to hide any wires either(ALL of it was exposed to even the most untrained eye), had the RCAs twisted around the power cable, no fuses, drilled a hole in the door panels and hot glued tweeters in right at eye level.... i guess if thats professional quality, i'm the god of car audio installations and i should be charging upwards of $1000 for labor alone :lol: i make my shit look good.

prove it,lol i like pics

prove it,lol i like pics

i obviously can't prove what a shitty job whoever dealt with my dad's tahoe did, since 1, i fixed it, and 2 over the summer of 2007, some asshat(with no insurance) T-boned him.... at least he got a 99 Yukon out of it.

if you're looking for pics of MY work on the monte, then it will be a few days, since my wife has my camera and is in Arkansas visiting her grandpa...