How far would you drive?

jrcuttymann

Hypothetical question .... There is a junkyard 2 hours away with the parts for your car( one that you have been looking for for along time) would you drive 2 hours to get that part ... example AQ9 seats. ..cost to ship them to you is more than the seats itself..so how far woud you drive for parts for your w?

Depends on the part really. I bought my GP with ghey 16" American Racing wheels on it....

HPIM0083.jpg

I bought a set of mint polished torque stars off ebay with bad Fuzion tires on it, and drove the 3.5 hours to Indiana to pick them up haha.

I drive an hour and 15mins everytime I want to go to the yard.

Yeah, and youve done that, what, a dozen times??? :lol:

And when are we going next biatch, I need some parts, its a super secret that I will tell you later :mrgreen:

i once drove 3.5 hours to look at a car. Didnt buy it either. i was pissed, the owner lied about its condition.

Junkyards, yeah about 2 hours to the good ones around here.

I live in St Louis, and have driven to Albany NY for parts for my 6000.

I flew to Philly, and drove back my wifes new car..

I'll spend over two hours driving sometimes if I'm visiting more than one yard for various crap.

i once drove 3.5 hours to look at a car. Didnt buy it either. i was pissed, the owner lied about its condition.

Ouch, nothing sucks worse than wasting your time on somebody lying about a car. Fortunately Luke was honest about everything my GTP needed when he was selling it. I made a six-hour round trip for it.

I flew to the west side of Kansas and drove back(Ohio) with a car that I wanted.

Where the hell did you fly to? The 4 biggest cities in the western half of the state have populations of 15,000-25,000. There can't be commercial flights anywhere.

I did the same. Drove from Buffalo to some hick town Ulster PA to look at a Z34. The transmission gernaded during the test drive and I had to walk back to get to my car and drive back to Buffalo

heh, I took a train from NY to MN to get my 89 GP and drove it back, I think I got you all beat... :P

I drove across the country (Seattle, WA) for a car I wanted........

Flew from Buffalo NY to Seattle WA and drove my Z34 back across the country to Kitchener Ontario (1 hr west of Toronto)

I win. :lol:

I've never had to go too far, but if I wanted something bad enough... I'd go to it.

My understanding is that it is a large pain to bring a out of country car into the states, so I'd probably limit myself to the lower 48, unless it was something amazing, or a re-import.

i drove from cleveland to atlanta for a NOS A&A 78-81 camaro IROC air dam.

and from cleveland to an hour south of charlotte for Z34 bumpers, seats, and spoiler.

i try and schedule multiple things. on the atlanta trip i went 3 hours farther south and dropped off a 350 for $300 and on the north carolina trip i dropped off a 2.8/t5.

I drove from MN to Rowlett (Ft. Worth) Texas to get my 94 Cutlass IIRC 15-16 hours one way. We drove my cousin's 2000 Plymouth Neon there, were there about 2 hours and drove right back. We left Friday night about 7 or 8pm, and I got back to my house with the cutlass just as my stepdad was leaving for work Monday morning at about 5AM. Everyone said I was crazy for driving that far, but said, "WOW!, nice car" when I got back.

My Z24 came from Sterling, CO. We took my aunt's 95 thunderchicken w/4.6 out there to get it. We left the Z24 at my ex-uncle's house in Sterling and drove up to Estes Park through Loveland. We camped up in Estes Park when I was around ten. The Z24's clutch slipped in every gear on the test drive, but we somehow made it back. It slipped on steep grades on the interstate with the cruise set at 75 and the shift light would com on. I also got pulled over in Des Moines by a state trooper because I was going 65 (posted speed) on a donut which had been on since entering Nebraska. He asked if I thought it was a smart idea to go that fast on a donut, I replied, "It made it the last 450 miles at 70 MPH, I don't think it's going to be a problem." His jaw just dropped and he said, "WHAT!!!" I remember paying an average of $2.25 for gas on that trip and thought that was absolutely crazy :lol:. My one friend had a warrant and also got taken off by the troopers. He wasn't supposed to leave the state of MN, but didn't tell me that.

On the Cutlass trip in fall 02, I left with $200 for gas for both vehicles and had some money when I got back. My cousin did fill the neon himself once or twice. The Neon had to fill up almost twice as much as the Cutlass on the way back. I swear the Cutlass got like 32 mpg on that trip.

I regularly drive from Binghamton to Rochester, NY, Worchester, MA, and Hazelton, PA to go to junkyards. Granted there are other things to do in those places that I am going for, but the junkyard is an integral part of the trip, Even if I am not looking for anything.