Car won't take freon

outatime

On my 96 regal I vacummed the system down and hooked up the freon can and it won't take a charge. The compressor is coming on when I turn it on so I know it's working. I was thinking maybe it's blocked. Maybe it's the expansion valve is blocked ?

if you vacuumed the system, then the compressor shouldn't be coming on when you turn it on cause there's no freon. the only way for it to turn on with no freon in the system is to jump the compressor relay under the hood. i would get a pressure gauge and hook it up to the low side and see what the pressure is at.

What type of setup are you using to charge with? I would make sure that the valve(s) you're using on the can tap and manifold gauges(assuming that's what you're using) are actually opening and allowing refrigerant to at least flow through them.

For what it's worth, I've never had to manually jump a compressor to get a bone dry system to accept a charge. After so much of the first can(using 12oz cans) goes in, the compressor will kick on and quickly empty the can. Submerging the cans in warm(not hot) water will help speed up the transfer of the refrigerant by increasing the pressure of the can. Less refrigerant will be retained in the can when heating it with warm water also.

I did get it to take the freon finally. Three cans actually. But it's still not blowing cold so I think it's the expansion valve. I'm going to replace it today and see what happens.

what did you do to get it to take the freon?

It was just going really slow at first. I'm used to cans getting really cold really fast.

Per chance do you know where the expansion valve is ? :)