Cardone Reman Products

runt

I'm getting ready to replace the MAF in the GP. I tried to clean it, but it's still cutting fuel/air. I've had it on a Tech2 at the local dealer and it's traced back to that. I might even pull the TB when I do the MAF just to make sure I don't have a bunch of gunk in there.

I found on Rockauto an AC/Delco MAF for about $215. But looking at autozone's site I can get a Reman w/ core charge for about $261 but it's a year warranty. I could also get a "new" Cardone for $172. Not to mention, it's local and I like that idea.

The brand is Cardone. Does anyone have any experience with Cardone Remans? Should I try it or stop wasting my time and just buy the Delco brand from Rock auto? I realize the price IS more locally for the Reman (but not 'new'). I'm just worried I'm going to waste my time.

Any ideas/helpful hints are appreciated.

You could unplug it and let it run off of the MAP sensor until you get the new one in. Atleast that should clear up some driveability issues. Gas mileage may not be the best, but it should work.

As far as Cardone stuff, I can't say I've heard good or bad.

Tried searching ebay for one? Or Amazon, they've been cheaper than Rockauto a lot lately for me.

I've also ordered from autoparts123.com with good success. They sell the Cardone with a core for pretty damn cheap. Part number 74-50015

I'm sure that the MAF is shot, but driveability isn't terrible. It usually only does it once or twice in a trip but it's extremely annoying and I'm worried I'll do more damage when it cuts fuel/air like that.

Yeah, you can unplug the MAF, and you shouldn't have the issues, since it will run on the MAP sensor. That way, until you have the new MAF, you won't have the issues that your having.

I know you really don't want to deal with online, but autoparts123.com is pretty damn cheap.

I ordered my wheel bearing for the Firebird from them, parts where here next day.

autoparts123 huh? I've been using primarily rockauto.com, but I might just check those guys out.

Thus far they are the cheapest. And it's free shipping which is always nice.

Hey I have a MAF off a car with 44k on it you can have for $20 plus shipping... I know it works cause I tested it in my car and the numbers were the same as the one I have in it... But another thing to check is how dirty your throttle body is... For some reason, the 3800 GPs like to get a ton of gunk in them... I have cleaned many of them including my own... and my spare one... Do you have the special torx bits it takes to remove them?

I sell Cardone at the auto parts store I work at in Manchester CT. If you are near me I will take care of any issues that you have and may even have a better price, I don't work till Monday though. Also I do not have many problems with them and their new stuff I have never had a problem with. Mostly only their reman water pumps.

-Kris

CaptainShizzle: I'm in PA. Quite a bit away from CT, but I appreciate the offer!!

Al: I'm going to think about it. With it being a sensor I'm almost wondering if I'm not better off just grabbing a new one. Then again, it's cheaper to see if that really is the issue by getting that one from you. I'll get to you soon.

Also, any recommended ways to clean the TB? I'm also thinking of removing the screen at the beginning of the TB, maybe that way it'll be easier to see if there is gunk in there.

Theres only 3 bolts that hold the throttle body on... You could remove those three or just remove one of the sensors (MAF is best) and use a flashlight in there and look, that is if you have the tamper proof torx bits... When my car had 87k, I used a full can of carb cleaner and it still wasnt 100% clean, but was close... But carb cleaner is probably your best bet for cleaning it... It brought back alot of life to my car

I'm assuming that the carb cleaner will dry up quickly? Yeah, I could pull the TB off, but if I don't have to replace the gasket I'd rather not.

Yeah I have the tamper free torx on there. Had to buy a new tool to get 'em off though! :lol:

You dont have to replace the gasket but it allows you to see in the TB alot better and you can spray off the butterfly better... Its only 3 bolts 1 screw and three sensors to take off...

• 2 weeks later...

Well...got Al's MAF. Installed today. Hopefully that'll cure my issue. Ended up NOT taking the TB off. It was a bit more than 3 screws, and one bolt. :lol: I had all three bolts off (which the one near the front down at the manifold) was a PAIN IN THE ASS. I just removed what sensors I could, cleaned them, cleaned the TB while on the car, reinstalled and took for a quick ride. Seems better and I got some throttle response back which was nice. I'll find out if the sensor worked probably early next week since I'll have to drive it to work.