turn signals

blakngold4life

My turn signals stopped working in my z34. they went out a while back but I need to get it inspected soon so actually have to fix it now. The right signal works when you hold it up, but will not operate if you leave it and the left will light up when you hold it down but will not flash (sometimes if I pull on it, it flashes slightly). I have seen smoke come out of the steering column a couple times and am assuming its related to this. My wipers and everything else on the column work fine. Anyone have experiences like this or know what may be up?

Very common problem. Turn signal switch.

Should be between $40 and $55, depending on whether or not you have RSWC (redundant steering wheel controls...for the radio). You'll need a steering wheel puller.

Yes. very common.

the square column style can readily be cleaned and re-lubricated if it is not damaged... assuming you have the skills to do so. (like if you you can change a tire, you can do this) basically you remove the steering wheel and the upper column cover and you have complete access. you would then see the part that moves when you move the lever. remove it and inspect for damage to the contacts or the plastic. if good, clean and lubricate (i use dielectric grease) and take the moving part and flex the 6 contact tabs out so they provide more pressure and install.

or get a new switch.

Yea I have the exact same issue, Im going to head out to pick up a puller and deal with it today if my schedual allows. Its getting annoying as hell holding it up or down when switching lanes..especially at real speed.

I finally got to looking at mine today and...SUCCESS! Funyy, I fixed it the same way I used to fix my slot cars when I was a kid. I took it apart, cleaned the contacts with alcohol and swabs and bent the contacts more to make a stiffer connection. One of the things I love about gm, 9 outta 10 times you can look at something and go " well theres the problem".

Got the new signal switch installed, the left signal still doesn't operate properly. The lights halfway blink and the clicker is much faster than the right. Now im thinking this problem is the relay but am having a difficult time locating it. any ideas?

On my 94 cs it is located just above the brake pedal next to the steering column. Not very much fun to get to , It is held in place by a little clip.

Got the new signal switch installed, the left signal still doesn't operate properly. The lights halfway blink and the clicker is much faster than the right. Now im thinking this problem is the relay but am having a difficult time locating it. any ideas?

check all bulbs? the clicker is not side specific, and wouldn't be different unless there is a voltage draw difference between left and right.

All the bulbs are fine, brake lights and hazard lights all light up fine and flash as they should. Any other ideas? The problem still appears to be in the switch, took the other one back thinking it was a dud and the new one is is doing the same.

problem solved! For some unknown reason the left brake light was wired into the turn signal and was overloading the flasher, wired it up correctly and everything is working great