STILL Cooling Problems...

fleetwoodguy79

Ok so here it goes...

My last motor (3100) had issues of staying at 190* or so on the highway, then at idle it would rarely go below 210. Replaced EVERYTHING except for the radiator. Now, I have the 3.4 DOHC in my car. Totally new cooling system except for the radiator. Just got the 180* stat in today, and here's the problem. When the car is cool as in just starting up, it stays about 170-180* for a while. When either I get off the highway or start doing some serious driving, it shoots back up to 200-210 and tries to go back down but doesn't. Is this a radiator problem? Can they just GO BAD? Anyone that could help me out here to solve this mystery of 2 years now?! Thanks for reading this post, I know its long!

I'm confused as to why you think these temps are actually a BAD thing?? 210 is not something to worry about at all...

Remember the 1st line in the description of an engines cooling system:

"The cooling systems first line of duty is getting the engine up to operating temperature as soon as possible...."

What do you think "operating temperature" is??

Also, where are you getting these figures? Are you just using your dashes temperature gauge?

From everything you've said, I just do not see a problem, yet...

Well, here is the issue. I've been in about 5 other grand prix's with misc. engines. I know a girl that has a 95 gp with the 3100 and she runs a CONSTANT 180-195 with a stock stat. On travis' gp with the 3.4, he runs anywhere from 185-195 CONSTANTLY. I cannot stay constant on my temp. I can also feel a power loss from when my temp is first at 180, then jumps to 210. Normal operating temp should be right about 195. I've even hooked my car up to the scanner at work and its showing the same temps as my dash gauge. It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me why every one else's cars run quite cool, while mine constantly jumps.

And also, since I am building this motor as a "performance driven street" motor, I'd like to have my car running at the same temp most all of the time. Anyone else's temps do this?

Do what I did put a switch in so you can turn your fans on when you want to. I leave my fan on when im in town to keep my car about 180. On the highway it stays cool anyway.

How did you do the wiring? I'd need to splice it because when I engauge the AC, the computer needs to know that the fans are on. Where did you tap in for the power? Thanks for the tips everyone!

On my cutlass I just ran a wire to the fan relay to my toggle switch and then from the toggle switch to a piece of metal on my car. Your not putting any power through the toggle switch all you are doing is grounding the relay so the fan comes on. Do a search on the main page and you can get instructions how to do it. :D