Radar detector

SrMichi

Hello is there a way to wire up my radar detector to something...... i really want to have my cigarette lighter free so i could keep it close or use it with something else. k thanks

wire up an auxilary socket. I installed one it the rear of the glove box in my old luminas. and you can even hook it to a switched power source so it is only powered when the car is on.

I used a kit that you can buy at most auto stores (even wal-mart) that cost about $5 at the time.

can you guys be more insightful? your talking to the guy that did not know why his car would turn off whenever the fan kicked on and in the end it was a loose ground :frown:

272932_300.jpg

buy this.

mount it somewhere in the car and run the ground wire to a ground, and wrap the other end around the "protected" side of the radio fuse. this end can be found by pulling the fuse with the key in the on position, and touching the wire to either end of the fuse holder. which ever end does not supply power is the "protected" side. wrap end of wire around fuse tab and re-install fuse.

OR...

just splice it into the existing cig lighter's wiring. no auto shut-off feature, though.

on my car, I figured out where it had clearance, and drilled a hole through the rear of the glovebox to mount it. I powered a discman from it, and the discman would turn off whenever the car was turned off.

is that the Bell 39048-8 Auxiliary Power Socket? k then will buy and will try to install it during the weekend :biggrin:

close enough. Several different companies probably make such sockets.

My old Whistlers used to come with a coiled wire for the lighter, and a flat one that could be hard wired. All I did was ground the negative by wrapping it around one of the screws holding the plastic door jam trim in place, and stuck the positive end into an AUX fuse in the glove box fuse panel so the radar automatically came on when the ignition went to on. It's really rather simple.

DSC00474.jpg

I wired it to the load side of my wiper fuse as it's something that turns on and off with the car and a radar detector draws like no load so I didn't have to worry about the fuse and I don't remember exactly where I grounded it, but you'll find a spot under there.

Doesn't matter though, someone stole my radar detector outa my car at wal mart a few weeks ago....><

Any of the above suggestions will work. When I worked at Circuit City we had people pay us to hardwire them in, but they would also ask us to put a switch somewhere so they could turn it off with the car running in case they got pulled over. Typically we would run the wires up to the headliner so they could mount it up under the rear view mirror.

The auxiliary sockets works well also. I have used those a few times too.

Back when I used to bother with radar detectors, I hard-wired it with a fuse adapter thing.

Looks like this.

I know for sure Pep Boys sells them. Just crimp it onto your radar detector's positive wire. Choose the right fuse, and it will turn the detector on/off with the ignition.

I think Pep Boys also had a universal hard-wire kit if you don't want to chop up your radar detector's wiring. It was just wiring kit with an assortment of different plug ends to fit various radar detectors. You choose the plug end you need and attach it to the wiring. The end of the wiring had 2 spade lugs, one for positive one for negative.

can you guys be more insightful? your talking to the guy that did not know why his car would turn off whenever the fan kicked on and in the end it was a loose ground :frown:

If that's true then you should stay away from trying to wire up anything. Just go to your local parts store, and buy a splitter so that you don't have to deal with wiring. Most of them look clean when plugged in, and aren't expensive.

Dont get a splitter! Dont get another cigarette lighter! Just hard wire the damn thing! It will take les then half an hour to do.

1. Either cut the lighter end off you radar detector OR get a female lighter adapter like this:

Female-Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter-RA-2-for-Powerfilm_T%5B1%5D.jpg

Any auto parts store will have them.

2. Connect the positive wire to ignition power. You can use either the large pink wire at the ignition switch (just drop the drivers dash panel down and you will see the wires) or use the yellow wire behind your radio. If its an aftermarket radio it will be red coming from the back of the radio, yellow going into the car.

3. Ground the negative wire. If you went to the ignition switch just ground it to a piece of metal under the dash. If you went behind the radio simply connect it to the black wire.

4. Now run the wire up the A piller and under the headliner then plug it into the radar detector. Done!

Going behind the radio may be the best for you, will probably be a little easier although you may need to extend the wire to reach. Should be fine if you get the female adapter though. If you cut the cig lighter end off your radar detector plug you will need to fuse the positive wire.