abs problems

Snuffit

alright, first post here so go easy on me...i searched and couldnt find this...my car has been randomly popping its ABS light on...i hooked it up to a local shops scan tool (a snap on scanner, i dont know what its exact name is) and it told me my abs light has a short in it...so we fixed that...but it also said my abs was off? is this common for that scan tool to say? or is there a more serious problem?...we went out and did a few brake tests by just nailing the brakes on pavement, the low track light came on...and the tires locked up and squeeled then stopped (it did this a number of times before the car came to a compleat stop)...but the pedal didnt push back like on most cars...any ideas? this is on a 95 grand prix gtp by the way. thanks for any help

Tom

What I would do in your case is to raise the car up and put jackstands on four corner and remove the 4 tires/wheels.

Check the wheel speed sensor for loose wires or defect on all for wheel. This wheel speed sensor is what the ABS checks to see if the wheel is locking up or not.

I would go ahead and do bleed the brake system.

What I would do in your case is to raise the car up and put jackstands on four corner and remove the 4 tires/wheels.

Check the wheel speed sensor for loose wires or defect on all for wheel. This wheel speed sensor is what the ABS checks to see if the wheel is locking up or not.

I would go ahead and do bleed the brake system.

Agreed! Snuffit, if your ABS light is intermittently turning on / off I would say a wheel speed sensor.

Here's a post I made regarding the same issue on another thread:

On Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) equiped vehicles, each wheel hub has a wheel speed sensor on it.

Full wheel rotations are converted to electrical signals and they're sent as an electronic pulse to the ABS module.

Comparing all four of the inputs during braking, the ABS module determines what wheel(s) are locking up.

If locking up, the system will react and pulsate the brakes to ensure active tire rotation and traction.

Now, when one or more of the sensors begin to fail, it'll give an intermitten signal.

Sometimes the sensor works, and other times it doesn't.

That's why you'll see the ON and OFF ABS warning light to letting you know theres a discrepancy in the ABS system.

You said through your Scan-I Tool that the ABS is off?

Hmmm... after testing all the wheels sensor, do a another test drive and get a feel for it.

If the system is still off, check fuses / relays and do a full scan to locate the faulty circuit.

Best of luck; by the way... Welcome aboard! :D

- Erik

ok, the wheel speed sensors are good. We checked them thinking the same thing

When we go and drive it the scan tool says they are all right on with the vehicle speed.

After re-wireing a alarm system the previous owner hacked into the car ,the abs light doesnt come on anymore..(they somehow tried to pull 12 volt switched from the wire that runs power to my gauge cluster)

The scan tool still claims abs is off, after traceing the whole wireing harness and not finding anything that really resembled a broken wire, would it be possible that maybe the scan tool says abs is off untill the abs system activates to unlock a wheel?

When I was driving with the scan tool I couldnt really look at it and brake at the same time, my friend was busy and couldnt come with me to test it.

I dont know if it says its on then or not, just an idea that was brought up. My only fear is the computer went bad, but that doesnt seem like a common problem

My fuses were all good, but I dont know how to check the relay.

I love this car :D Ive, only had it for like 3 or 4 months, and have been slowly nurseing it back to health, and just want to get everything working the way it should

Tom

I also have an issue with my ABS light going on/off. It happens the most when I go over train tracks to fast or shitty black top/ construction work. The light will remain on after this happens and as you know the ABS system is non responsive. Of course if I restart my car the computer will correct the problem. Sometimes I think the ABS is more of a hassle than a benefit :? . BTW I also drive a '95 vehicle...Generous Motors :) !!!!

w-body.jpg

Dannymik, try pulling down the stuff under your dash right above the gas/brake pedals. See if anything looks out of place there, my abs stuff was all right there. The previous owner of my car had put in a alarm himself, or I hope himself, cause if a shop electrical taped everything together they need to be shot. After I fixed that I cant seem to make my abs light go off, and when I slam on the brakes on gravel the abs does seem to work now.

Im not sure why, or how, but the problem seems to be solved. I guess it was just a GM self repair problem?

Slade901. Thanks for the site about relays, mine were good, but that helps me out on a couple of other problems :D

Tom

• 3 months later...

Must be a common problem in 95' vehicles. The ABS light in my Cutlass has had issues ever since I got the car a year ago. Whenever I go over any sort of harsh surface the light will turn on and stay on untill the car is restarted, and as previously stated the ABS is non-funtional in the mean time. I've had new pads, rotors and calipers installed recently, and all of the wheel speed sensors test as being good, so go figure.

Must be a common problem in 95' vehicles. The ABS light in my Cutlass has had issues ever since I got the car a year ago. Whenever I go over any sort of harsh surface the light will turn on and stay on untill the car is restarted, and as previously stated the ABS is non-funtional in the mean time. I've had new pads, rotors and calipers installed recently, and all of the wheel speed sensors test as being good, so go figure.

Lets be honest with these cars...the brakes suck or at least anything related to them! :evil: