Body rot @ trailing arm mounts: what have you done about it?

GutlessSupreme

I know other people have had this problem: the trailing arm mounts on the body tear out due to rot. The TSTEs look like they're almost there, the Cutlass is getting bad too but I'm not gonna dump the money into that one. I searched long and hard last night and could find very few threads on the issue.

Basically I want to know what people have done about it, and if anyone has before/after pictures.

I know the 2nd gens have bolt-in replacement mounts that are only ~$6 bucks a side. I've been thinking about using those after I replace the steel around the mount. I don't think I'm going to be able to afford to have a shop work on this so it might come down to me and my buddies. Basically that part of the framerail on each side will have to be cut out and a new box welded in. I'll sandblast and POR-15 the area surrounding it and try and get the seams as best as I can but I'm afraid it seems impossible to get it all without replacing the floor pan and the rockers. Hopefully I can get it to stay in recession.

Does anyone have any pics of those 2nd gen bolt-in mounts too? I tried searching on ClubDrama's forum too but their search function is god fucking awful.

kthx

i cut the rotted part, replaced it with ~1/4" thick steel, welded on stock mount. then again, this is with a 95 monte, so i'm sure it'll be different for you....

It doesn't look like you have any MAJOR issue there at the moment, but in a few years that small amount of rust could be potentially dangerous. Here is my advice.

Take an use a wire brush (preferrable an electric one of an air one) and wire brush the area clean, getting rid of all of the rust etc. Then prepare the metal...body shutz, undercoating..whatever way you choose, just use a rustproofing method.

Whatever you do, be sure to check up on it every 4-6 months to make sure the rust is not re-surfacing, and to re-apply if neccisary.

Just my opinion.

I've been consider the 2nd gen mount method on my TGP. Mine is beyond "just weld in more steel and coat it" so I'm thinking I'll cut it out and have new steel welded in. Now one question I have is does the mount HAVE to be the same height or could you use the trailing arm to line it up right and move it forward slightly to compensate since you shouldn't really have any or minimal tension once its in the air?

Now one question I have is does the mount HAVE to be the same height or could you use the trailing arm to line it up right and move it forward slightly to compensate since you shouldn't really have any or minimal tension once its in the air?

No, I would do my best to keep it exactly where it's supposed to be, otherwise you'll start messing up suspension geometry. If you move the mount you'll change the radial path that the knuckle is supposed to follow, and put extra stress on the other components.

mine went 4years ago and i payed to have new sections welded in.

yea I read about that, I was hoping you might have some pictures of it

yea it's not gonna be fun, I know that much. I need to order them and see what they look like, I assume they're just a thin stamped piece but they should provide a good foundation to work around, anyway.