changed thermostat and have a vacuum leak!!!

rockind78

Hi guys,

I am hoping you can help me out here. I changed the thermostat on my

1995 Regal 3.8, and in the process I loosened up my AIR bracket that holds the tube in place directly above my T-stat housing. Well, I have put everything back together and now I have a vacuum leak, a fairl big one. Any ideas? Am I supposed to have a gasket in there or something? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

If your talking about a gasket in the thermostat housing then YES. There should be a seal around the t-stat. As far as the vacuum leak goes, is there a tube that is connected to that box that you maybe broke or accidentally disconnected? I'm not too familier with the 3.8 regals, but it sounds like something just isnt connected or you broke a line taking off the braket. Can you pinpoint the leak?

off topic but do you have any pics of the 98 convertable

Well the convertible is in pieces right now as i started to work on it and ran out of $$$. In short, no I don't. They shouldnt be too hard to find though. Everybody ditches them in favor of the Cutlasses.

Fleetwoodguy, all the gaskets for the T-stat are in place, and everything is ready to go. The vacuum leak is coming fom the metal fixture that the AIR tube bolts too that is right in the same imediate vicinity as the AIR motor. Upon further investigation, I have figured out a couple of things: 1) it is tricky getting it to sit level when reattaching, and 2) It is very easy to to break the AIR bracket upon reattachment, which is what I did, hence th vacuum leak. I now know what my problem is, I am just having trouble getting the little sucker sealed up. I JB welded the bracket back together and assuming that goes well, I will try to reassemble everything again tomorrow. Thanks for the input.