Vegeta

No one probably cares, but when I got the cutlass, the only way to open the hood was to use pliers on what was left of the hood release cable. Now, its got a brand new cable (old one was abused, rusty in the mid section from a crack). Next I have to replace the coolant line that runs along the firewall, replace the climate controls, fix my radio wiring, replace the head light module, and check the head light wiring. For some reason, the lights go out randomly. Mostly, they go out, you stop the car, turn the switch off (important), wait 20 seconds, and its good to go for at least an hour. Pretty odd. I thought it was from the climate control, and it may still be. Jon wanted to see what the outside temp was and didnt know that I suspected the unit to be killing my head lights. Sure enough, 7 minutes later they died.

So yeah, this POS is getting some TLC and maybe it will be kicking some ASS soon.

Oh, and in case anyone cares, 17 degrees retarded on the exhaust cams causes excessive knock and really messes with the fuel tables. Now that im back at 13 degrees, the fuel table that was almost perfect for the 17 is extremely screwed. Power increaesed a lot with the 13 as well, especially low end.

I would just replace the headlight switch with a known good one, if that's the original in the '91. They're known to do funky things when they get hot (and old). For example right now on the '89 if I touch the dimmer lever, all digital displays start flashing erratically, until I shake it around and find a "good" spot. POS

Nico bought the cable, so I don't know what it cost. Install wasn't bad at all. If you don't have directions, I can type or scan the manual for it. Its only a few pages. I had to pull the driver seat, pull back the carpet, and thats about the most difficult part, aside from routing the new one but that wasn't too bad.

I have another one from a junkyard, but I dont know the condition. Nico replaced this one as well but who knows. Maybe it is causing the same problem as the old one he replaced (said it did the same thing, or at least, the lights would cut out). If it comes down to it, ill buy a brand new one. That is, after I test everything else out and replace the parts.

Oh, and in case anyone cares, 17 degrees retarded on the exhaust cams causes excessive knock and really messes with the fuel tables. Now that im back at 13 degrees, the fuel table that was almost perfect for the 17 is extremely screwed. Power increaesed a lot with the 13 as well, especially low end.

the knock is good for it!

as for the power gains, im confused. cuz everyone says it does nothing for your low end, but helps your high end a whole lot. but john(kickin) said it didnt do anything except fuk up his idle. maybe it depends on the car.

No one probably cares, but when I got the cutlass, the only way to open the hood was to use pliers on what was left of the hood release cable. Now, its got a brand new cable (old one was abused, rusty in the mid section from a crack). Next I have to replace the coolant line that runs along the firewall, replace the climate controls, fix my radio wiring, replace the head light module, and check the head light wiring. For some reason, the lights go out randomly. Mostly, they go out, you stop the car, turn the switch off (important), wait 20 seconds, and its good to go for at least an hour. Pretty odd. I thought it was from the climate control, and it may still be. Jon wanted to see what the outside temp was and didnt know that I suspected the unit to be killing my head lights. Sure enough, 7 minutes later they died.

So yeah, this POS is getting some TLC and maybe it will be kicking some ASS soon.

sweetness! one day, when I change my timing belt, I'll probably adjust the exhaust timing....

how has it affected your gas mileage?