Skimaster028

Hey everyone. I have a 1993 cutlass supreme convertible 3.4. It has 127000 miles and it burns about a quart every 2000miles. (a big puff of smoke comes out of the exhaust when it starts up but it isn't visible after that).

Anyway, it needs a few new things (A/C, back struts (or shocks whatever they are havn't looked yet), rear window motors, speakers, a few other little things) and i was just wondering how much life you guys think is left in it before I go ahead and spend some cash on it.

This car was given to me (also have a 88 Foxbody stang that is in great shape) I really like having this car so i don't have to drive my stang every day. I'm trying to decide whether i want to fix it up or just leave it the way it is. I'm so afraid im going to pour money into it and then the tranny or engine will go :sad:

thanks

Keep it! These W-body Cutlasses run forever if taken car of.

1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL 3100 V6 150,000K+

Engines and trannies are the least of your potential problems (although the 3.4 is damn annoying to work on). Usually everything else ends up failing first. 127k is pretty much nothing for the engines and transaxles themselves.

That's pretty nasty oil consumption though. Do you have access to a compression tester? Those engines usually don't smoke or consume so early in life...

Engines and trannies are the least of your potential problems (although the 3.4 is damn annoying to work on). Usually everything else ends up failing first. 127k is pretty much nothing for the engines and transaxles themselves.

[/quote

i'll agree with that to some degree.

the 3.4 has that damn oil pump drive seal issue, which as long as you check your oil often, you'll catch it before any damage gets done, and you can replace it, then you'll have quite a few more trouble free miles assuming the timing belt is good. thats about the only real internal issues with the 3.4 i think the 93 still had the coilpacks by the exhaust? thats a pain, but not as bad as internal engine work.

as far as trannys, if its beat on or otherwise neglected, that'll be the first thing to go. the 4t60-e will get worn down by the 3.4 if its not taken care of. no damn peg-leg burnouts/neutral drops or else you're asking for trouble. keep it happy and it will keep you going for quite some time. my 3100/4t60e are at 186,000 and counting. tranny itself isn't showing any signs of issues although the mount itself is bad.

Thanks guys. I know for a fact that the car has never been beat on. I make a point of checking oil to make sure its always full. I already went through the nightmare of changing the coilpacks ( I wasn't smart enough to replace them all at once). I may have over estimated the oil consumption... like I said its only bad when first started after a long trip. How hard is it to replace the valve seals? I just wish I had more time for a job like that I only have 10 days left in my summer :eek:

Writing us from the future, eh?

well... i think to change the valve seals you have to remove both cam carriers and the timing belt and all...... IMO you are more likely to be losing oil through the oil drive seal than burning any significant amount of oil.

another thing I point out to people (like my dad) is that if you don't run them like a raped ape once in a while, they won't run as well. i had a visitation with my 3100 ciera, and it ran like crap! one oil change, a cleaning of the plugs (i had no seafoam) and pushing the engine to it's limits fpr a few days and it was back to running like a top.

If you don't know about seafoam, it's time you learned.... I think you'd be surprised to know your engine is probably choked with carbon.