Adding keyness entry to a lumina *Update Working*

cubsfan24

**EDIT: I have edited this post to contain a writeup how I wired up my 96 Lumina with keyless entry. The only thing that I do not have working is the driver door only unlock. For now I have wired it to unlock all doors with a single press of the unlock button on the remote

What you need:

1. Keyless entry receiver found under the carpet in the read deck on the passenger side. If you have a 95 or 96 you will need a different box than 97+ because the remotes changed in 97. However, I used a 97 box in my 96 so I could use the new remotes because they basically use the same wires. My local junk yard charges $5 for the receiver.

2. Keyless entry remote. I bought mine on ebay for $15 shipped.

3. Some wire and wire taps. Since I ran all of the wires from the front of the car to the rear I had to use 3 55ft rolls of 18gauge from radio shack. I also used these wire taps to tap into the wires.

4. If your car does not have electric trunk popper then you will need to get one of these too. As far as I know every 1.5gen Lumina is prewired for electric trunk. You need the switch from under the steering wheel and the trunk actuator for the trunk latch. The wire harnesses are tapped up around the areas you will be putting the actuator/switch and you will have to dig around looking for them. Mine were very easy to find though.

Here are the wire diagrams for keyless entry for reference.

1995/1996

1997+

Here are the wires that you will need to run:

I tapped into these two wires right behind the headlight switch. This was a bit of a pain but I could guarantee tapping into the correct wire. There is probably a easier place to tap into.

-Ignition- Pink (Headlight switch)

-Illum entry - dark blue (headlight switch)

I ran these three wires to the lock relay found under the passenger side dash. I had to remove the two bolts from the huge wire harness in front of it so I could access the lock relay. Here is a pic of my lock relay

-Lock - light blue (Lock relay)

-Unlock - White (Lock relay) **Currently have the tan wire of the receiver going to the white wire on the lock relay because I can't figure out how to only make the drivers door unlock**

-Always 12v - Orange (Lock relay)

These are the wires that pop the trunk.

-Light Green goes to the trunk popper switch to the green wire PIC of trunk popper switch

-The black/white wire goes to the black wire on trunk popper switch

-the grey wire goes to the black/white wire on the trunk actuator. PIC of trunk actuator

You can run these where ever you want to. The program in can be next to the receiver because that is how you program your remotes by grounding this wire.

-Ground - black

-Program in - black/white

This is the wire that unlocks only the drivers door when you press the unlock button once. I cannot get this to work correctly so I have wired this into the white wire on the lock relay so all the doors unlock with a single press of the unlock button on the remote.

-Left Front unlock - Tan

If the 1.5gen Lumina is like the first gen the actuator in the trunk is one wire and that is all. Energizes the actuator and it grounds through the body to the trunk lid.

The actuator in the trunk has two wires but I forget the colors. I think one is black/white but will have to check again tomorrow. I really don't care if the remote trunk pop works. I mainly just want to use the door unlock lock. I want to know what the gray 976 wire is and the light green 275 wire is. I am fairly sure that the black/white wire goes the the trunk actuator. If no one knows then I may have to back trace them out of the car I get the receiver out of.

The actuator in the trunk has two wires but I forget the colors. I think one is black/white but will have to check again tomorrow. I really don't care if the remote trunk pop works. I mainly just want to use the door unlock lock. I want to know what the gray 976 wire is and the light green 275 wire is. I am fairly sure that the black/white wire goes the the trunk actuator. If no one knows then I may have to back trace them out of the car I get the receiver out of.

in the diagram for the '96 the light green 275 wire goes to the trunk release system and the grey 976 wire goes to the solenoid that is inside the trunk lid. basically the light green wire is in the dash under the drivers side knee bolster and the grey wire goes right into the solenoid thats on the lock in the trunk.

and in the diagram for '97+ the grey wire isn't 976. it's 382 and goes to the other side of the solenoid. pretty much where the 976 wire goes just a different number.

Thanks for the reply 89SupremeCutty. I took some pics to make sure I have the right wires.

light green 275. Does this go to the trunk switch? http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3520/img8925.jpg

Grey 976. Is this the trunk solenoid? Which wire is it? http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6681/img8923.jpg

Black/White 56. I assume this goes to the actuator black/white wire http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4742/img8920.jpg

Thanks!

Started running some of my wires today from the headlight switch. Man what a great design. I broke a corner of my switch because GM thought it would be a good idea to use some hidden clips behind the switch that I couldn't see and forced me to use brute force to get it out.

I still need confirmation to where those three trunk wires go. This will be a half miracle if I can actually get this to work :lol:

all my cars have keyness entry. cuz you hafto use the key because they never work. :lol:

well, 1 car does work about 1/3 of the time... the red TGP.

-good luck.

Ok, went to the junkyard today and pulled a 97 reciever. I used a multimeter to trace the three trunk wires back and they are:

Light Green goes to the trunk popper switch to the green wire

The black/white wire goes to the black wire on trunk popper switch

the grey wire goes to the black/white wire on the trunk actuator.

Hooked everything up and grounded the programmer wire and the locks lock/unlock and the trunk pops :biggrin: Now I just have to wait for my remote I bought on ebay but since goes into program mode I don't see why it will not work. This is actually pretty easy to do and didn't cost a lot. The receiver cost $5. I bought two spools of 18ga wire at radio shack and some wire tap connectors for $16.

If anyone wants more detailed instructions about where I connected all the wires then I will try to post something up.

hey that's pretty sweet! i have a rke module that i want to install, but haven't had time to. i think you should post a write-up about it. it would be helpful around here.

Ya, as soon as I get my remote from ebay and can confirm everything is working I will post a little writeup. Reading all the past posts on this subject it sounded like it would take years to do :lol:. After figuring out the placement of the wires and if you placed the receiver under the dash this would be fairly simple to do since all the wires are up front except for the one trunk wire. But running 9 wires to the back of the car wasn't that hard either. Just cost some $$ for the wire. Can't wait to get my remote to test it out.

hey that's pretty sweet! i have a rke module that i want to install, but haven't had time to. i think you should post a write-up about it. it would be helpful around here.

X3.14125482695854217521. I want to hook my car up with the keyless entry bliss as well. I have already bought two remotes and hope they are compatible to the frequency of the rke. I hope your remote works with your setup, and I can't wait for a write up with pics. I am grateful someone had the time and effort to figure it out because working two jobs man does not leave a lot of time. :high5:

Got my remote today already! Man that was fast shipping. Anyways I have everything working EXCEPT the drivers only unlock when you press the unlock button once. I can hear the receiver clicking but it didn't unlock the drivers door. If you look at the 97+ wiring diagrams the TAN wire runs to the doors actuators bypasses the lock relay for the drivers door only. I cut the tan wire outside the drivers door and hooked it up to the tan wire of the receiver and that made the drivers door stop unlocking/locking all together. Door I need a separate relay to just unlock the drivers door? I guess it really doesnt't matter if I can't just unlock the drivers door but I am soooooo close to getting it 100% working :willynilly: Any ideas?

Got my remote today already! Man that was fast shipping. Anyways I have everything working EXCEPT the drivers only unlock when you press the unlock button once. I can hear the receiver clicking but it didn't unlock the drivers door. If you look at the 97+ wiring diagrams the TAN wire runs to the doors actuators bypasses the lock relay for the drivers door only. I cut the tan wire outside the drivers door and hooked it up to the tan wire of the receiver and that made the drivers door stop unlocking/locking all together. Door I need a separate relay to just unlock the drivers door? I guess it really doesnt't matter if I can't just unlock the drivers door but I am soooooo close to getting it 100% working :willynilly: Any ideas?

instead of going to the door, the original wire goes to the module, and the module runs a seperate wire to the door....

did you trunk pop work with the remot? :high5:

Yes, Everything works great except I cannot figure out how to only unlock the drivers door only. I currently have it set up to unlock all doors with a single press of the unlock button. This will be fine for me.

Crazy K. What is the 'module' you are talking about? If someone else can monkey around with it that would be great but for now I am happy with the way I have it setup. Its great to not have to mess around with sticking a key in the door.

did you trunk pop work with the remot? :high5:

Yes, Everything works great except I cannot figure out how to only unlock the drivers door only. I currently have it set up to unlock all doors with a single press of the unlock button. This will be fine for me.

Crazy K. What is the 'module' you are talking about? If someone else can monkey around with it that would be great but for now I am happy with the way I have it setup. Its great to not have to mess around with sticking a key in the door.

why... the keyless entry module, of course...

So you think that the tan wire needs to be cut from the drivers door and attached to the tan wire of the receiver (I tried this BTW).... Then run a separate wire to the door from the receiver? There is no more wires to do this on the receiver. I guess I am a bit confused on this. Together we can get this to work :high5:

So you think that the tan wire needs to be cut from the drivers door and attached to the tan wire of the receiver (I tried this BTW).... Then run a separate wire to the door from the receiver? There is no more wires to do this on the receiver. I guess I am a bit confused on this. Together we can get this to work :high5:

i will have to double check.

what module do you have? one or two connector?

Quick question on my lumina i also have key-less entry. I'm guessing the second button on the control is for the trunk popper? But I'm not sure since it's been broken since i got my car. it's just one red and black wire. if it is for the trunk opener where could i find a replacement?

i will have to double check.

what module do you have? one or two connector?

I have a receiver out of a 97+ Lumina in my 96 Lumina. It has one connector. The wiring diagrams I used are in the first post and are fairly basic. If you have more detail diagrams that might shed some light onto this situation.

Quick question on my lumina i also have key-less entry. I'm guessing the second button on the control is for the trunk popper? But I'm not sure since it's been broken since i got my car. it's just one red and black wire. if it is for the trunk opener where could i find a replacement?

Is it a stock keyless entry system? I didn't think 1st gen luminas got factory keyless entry. If the trunk popper doesn't work on the remote then does it work with the button in the car? If your car doesn't have a button inside the car to pop the trunk then there is no actuator inside the trunk to pop the trunk.

This post is about adding a factory keyless entry system to a 1.5gen lumina that originally didn't come with it. Although most of this information would probably apply to many w-bodys.

Club did you disconnect the battery when you did all of this? I was going to attempt to get some wire from ace hardware and I already have the wire tap things from radio shack.

Club did you disconnect the battery when you did all of this? I was going to attempt to get some wire from ace hardware and I already have the wire tap things from radio shack.

Ya just to play it safe I did disconnect the battery. Mainly because I was digging around for the lock relay wires next to the airbag wires. Better to disconnect it just in case :willynilly:

I wonder if Slick might be able to tell us why is that the setup now will unlock all the door but are unable to just make the drivers side door unlock and then hit the button againt to make the passenger side to unlock.

Hey Slick can you help out?