PCV system removed.

rich_e777

Ive seen these small cone-like breather intakes on some rides where their PCV valve appeared to be located and im wondering if its possible to install one of these things on the front valve cover and plug the hole or install a second on the rear valve cover and completly stopping the air flow from under the valve covers with oil from getting sucked back in the engine, Same question of the EGR system, idont eat my own waste for energy neither should my Car. 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL 3100

hmmm. I know it can be done, but often the type of thing where you put a crankcase breather filter results in oil misting out and soaking the engine.

another option: run a breather hose out so that any oil mist the comes out goes into a vented catch-can

Its actually best to keep the pcv system the way it is.. The system doesnt only control emissions it puts constant vacuum on the crankcase to prevent pressure from building up. If you remove your pcv system i guarentee you will lose hp. Theres no point in deleting it. Some people complain that the intake gets oily over time but that oil keeps the aluminum from pitting.. so really the pcv system is pretty useful.

If you want to delete something useless and hp robbing delete the egr. All it does it heat up the intake temps.

i have a small breather cone on my front valve cover and have had no problems with misting or anything. if you want to delete the egr, you will need to reprogram your computer. and i think the egr is only open when the throttle is closed....

I really don't see why people hate on the EGR. It's only functioning in closed loop, and it allows the engine to cut fuel without running lean, thereby giving you better fuel economy when cruising. As soon as you step on it, the EGR closes, and it's not "heating" the intake any more.

As for the breather, just put an inline filter on it if you're worried about oil in your intake. Vacuum in the crank case is a good thing.

Don't you know that the 3100 is a purely race-bred engine built for one purpose: raw performance. All the restrictions of a PCV valve and an EGR just kill all the tire-shredding horsepower.

Don't you know that the 3100 is a purely race-bred engine built for one purpose: raw performance. All the restrictions of a PCV valve and an EGR just kill all the tire-shredding horsepower.

This man speaks the truth!

considering the forged crank and rods from the factory, you would almost think so :dunno:

as for EGR, its there to help fuel economy, cool down the motor(by lowering combustion temps), and remove a little pollution. trust me, there's no real reason to remove it, depending on the tune, it runs a 0% duty cycle once you hit like 80% throttle, so its not killing power. it also allows you to run a little bit more spark advance when its functioning...

You must be confused, You have to be talking about the L67. :lol:

Its actually best to keep the pcv system the way it is.

Agreed.

On the rear valve cover the tube for the pcv has a hole in it at the first bend away from the cover and their cant be that much vacuum coming thru this piece anyways because theres definitly no loss of power and ive have different performance parts i wont disclose. Im not going to worry about it much, im pulling this engine, and my Cutlass is getting a new engine and RWD conversion so Ill plug some breathers in it and see what happens, if nothing ill just put the pcv stuff back on til i can figure something out.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the way this guy thinks. 100% agreed.

These engines don't operate on that much vacuum, but it is needed to operate correctly.

You must be confused, You have to be talking about the L67. :lol:

I lol at the thought of the L67 being a race bred engine as well.

OK i grabbed a Spectre PCV cone breather and took the stock pcv valve off and just set the pcv hose/tube aside. It seems to make the engine idle at a higher RPM than stock. I didnt take her on the road to see about power, but after idling for a minute or two i checked the gauges and my check engine light was on. So is there something that needs to be replaced? or the ECU needs reprogramming? or is there some plugging i need to do? Ill figure it out but any ideas would be cool, ill be working on her all day. Im cleaning the Throttle body and plenum out real good. Ive cleaned the EGR unit out real good and would remove it all together but i dont want to reprogram anything right now.

Your stock computer will not be able to be flashed.

You have a high idle because now you most likely have a vacuum leak, or insufficient vacuum.

The check engine light is related to the vacuum leak, or low vacuum.

Seriously, leave it alone.

OK i grabbed a Spectre PCV cone breather and took the stock pcv valve off and just set the pcv hose/tube aside. It seems to make the engine idle at a higher RPM than stock. I didnt take her on the road to see about power, but after idling for a minute or two i checked the gauges and my check engine light was on. So is there something that needs to be replaced? or the ECU needs reprogramming? or is there some plugging i need to do? Ill figure it out but any ideas would be cool, ill be working on her all day. Im cleaning the Throttle body and plenum out real good. Ive cleaned the EGR unit out real good and would remove it all together but i dont want to reprogram anything right now.

Hes right you probably have a vacuum leak. Where did you put the air filter? What did you do with the vacuum line coming off the manifold? Did you plug it?

Serously though just some friendly advice, put the stock pcv system back in. It seems like a simple system that everyone removes but its important. Without it you dont have near as much vacuum on the crankcase. There is alot more air displacement inside of your engine than you know! Your engine needs vacuum on the crank case.