GP Vert pics

95 vert

wouldn't it be easier to swap the body panels from a gp to a vert and call it a day?

A guy i know is always saying he wants to do that to his vert, or buy another one to do it to. He seems to think it wouldnt be that hard. I have my doubts.

i'll bet I can take off all the fenders from the front of my regal in under two hours, including the hood, header panel, and bumper cover. the only big issues are the tail lights, trunk lid, and maybe parts of the rear quarters, all of which can probably be welded without too much work. i'd do it.

I think you're certainly simplifying the process of swapping body panels. The GP and Cutlass shapes aren't even remotely similar. It isn't a bolt on swap. It would involve a ridiculous amount of body work, time and expertise... which no one on this board really has.

And that GP up there is the one built by Cars and Concepts, IIRC.

It would involve a ridiculous amount of body work, time and expertise... which no one on this board really has.

(raising hand)

i've always wanted to do a z34 convertible but never could find a clean z34 and a cheap clean high mile vert to get in the same place. yes it would be hard and lots of bracing would be needed while you cut things up and put them together. i've gone over it several hundred times - i could do it but at this point it'll never happen.

Front clip would be bolt-on. Front doors, you can probably swap the door skin, though that in itself isn't simple. I don't know too many people that swap door skins, most people swap whole doors, but the convertible door inner structure is MUCH beefier so door skins would be the way to go. I've seen tools to do this, but I'm sure it's still difficult.

Swapping the rear quarters and rear panel is the really hard part. You'd need to strip the ass end down to bare trunk floor pan and wheel wells. A really good body shop could do it, I've seen it done at a dealership to repair major collision damage. My conservative guess is they'd charge around $12k, but I could be way off. On the plus side, if you managed to get a Cutlass stripped down to trunk floor pan and wheel wells, everything should weld right on. :)

I've heard of DIYers who have taken on crazy projects like that, but Shaun is right, nobody on this board would do it.

Front clip would be bolt-on.

Not to highjack this thread or anything. But, does that mean I could throw 1st gen front clip on my Regal with no work other than bolt ons?