I am seriously at my witts end....(cabin filter Water Leak)

Regal_GS_1989

Alright...What in the bloody fuck is going on. When I first bought the car, i checked the cabin filter and the weatherstripping was off and sitting on the filter. There was no sign of anything ever getting wet, so I put the weather stripping back on and closed it up. First rain fall and BAM, the carpet is flooded. I pull off the cover and realized that I had put the weather striping on in the wrong spot, so instead of it channeling water on either side of the opening, it was channeling it right onto the filter. I cleaned that up, put the stripping on correctly and it was good. It went through countless car washes, as well as major rain and stayed dry. Then out of the blue...it got wet again. The weather stripping was still on, but it seemed loose, so I adhered it in place and dried the carpet. It was good throughout the winter, into spring and all the rain we've been getting this year. I go out today and it's FUCKING WET AGAIN!!. Is there any other places where it can leak? I seriously doubt that it is a plugged drain tube in the sunroof as the car was always garaged and there was never any crud in the sunroof. My GF's Intrigue has never leaked and that car spend a good part of its life outside.

Now i'm sitting at work and the carpet has to stay wet until I get home and can dry it out.

Any Help is appreciated.

I would try replacing the weatherstrip and making sure it gets good adhesion when you put it on. It sounds like the old one has had better days and could be the problem.

The thing is it is mint. I took a quick look again and realized that one of the little plastic clips that holds the cowling piece down is broken. I have a feeling that it may have been just loose enough to allow a tiny bit of water through and that just kept it going.I was driving it in the rain yesterday and it was also pretty windy. I will dry it out once I get home inspect the seal and replace the clip. I checked the one on the Intrigue this past weekend and the seal was nice and solid and the filter was nice and dry. I checked the car this morning and it had stayed dry (Thank god). So I may have found the issue.

Well, after looking at it, it looks as if one of the the corners of the strip were not making perfect contact around the cowl piece. This time around, I siliconed the strip on so there is NO chance of it moving. I also sprayed the weather stripping with silicone spray.

On another note...Drying out the carpet is a major PITA! I had a blow dryer in the footwell for a good 3 hours drying up the sponge under the carpet.

You might want to pull the carpet up and just replace the insulation that got wet. That stuff tends to smell even once it has been dried out. It is cheap and can be found and most any auto upholstery store. Just get a few razor blades to cut it with.

I thought about that, however I smelled it this morning and it smells nice and fresh (I gave it a light spray of orange lysol before I closed it up to kill any bacteria)

Being that I live in Canada, and that the car does see winter use, I'm not going to worry about it too much. That stuff gets wet every winter, no matter how hard I try to keep if from happening, so it's not like it's not going happen again. Come spring I generally shampoo the carpets and let it sit in the sun for a day with the doors and sunroof open. Dries it up nicely. Otherwise yea, i'd be replacing it.

I would just make sure its dry....that juke carpeting or whatever they call it can still be wet while the actual carpet is dry.

I agree with the previous poster that your weatherstripping sounds fubared.

That looks great! I wish I had the 2 piece cowl like that. When I had to re-attach my weatherstripping it was a HUGE pain in the ass because my cowl's one piece.

Yea, Once i complete this I will look at throwing in a cabin filter. As for debris...it is surprisingly clean. the car had the original cabin filter in it when I bought it and it was plugged up prette good. It also showed no signs of ever being wet.

And yes, i'm glad that my car has the 2 piece cowl as well...turns a 30 minute job into a 5 minute job.

Glad I could help.

I had no idea that this car had a 'FILL-TAR' as you call it.

The hardest cowling I had to take off was my 88 Cutlass Coupe Cowling. The whole deal had to be removed including the wiper arms that were a pain in the arse even with a couple of rivets in place, getting them unmounted was a pain.

Glad I could help.

The hardest cowling I had to take off was my 88 Cutlass Coupe Cowling. The whole deal had to be removed including the wiper arms that were a pain in the arse even with a couple of rivets in place, getting them unmounted was a pain.

l could swear that at one point i removed the cowling from my 89 regal and i never removed the wiper arms....but that was a while ago so i dont remember.

I guess i'll need to talk to my dad. The company he works for does mechanical insulation, so i'm sure that they have TONS of plastic that I would be able to use. Also, it makes perfect sense now after you said that the plastic warps slightly and the weather stripping doesn't do its job.

Definately on my to do list of things to complete this summer.

Glad I could help.

I'm pretty sure that's what I would have to do if I wanted to remove the cowl. Screw that, I just bent it up a bit to get in there.