Rebuilding/cleaning the turn signal switch

boymeetspavement

So since i got the car the contacts within the turn signal have been driving me insane. The arm clicks into position and returns like it should but in order to get my signal to turn in I have to push it hard into position.

Its easy enough getting to the nut to pull the wheel, a whole lot easier than my last car was anyway. I was wondering if anyone knew any tricks to pull the wheel without using a puller, Ive used them before Im just not keen on buying a tool Ill need once.

I was wondering if anyone knew any tricks to pull the wheel without using a puller, Ive used them before Im just not keen on buying a tool Ill need once.

I've never used a wheel puller - I just use a BFH on the steering shaft where the nut was (taking care not to damage the threads) and pull the wheel side to side while pulling out - use your knees behind it as well. I've had success doing this about 99% of the time.

I think I used a puller once but that's just because Ken happened to have one.

I've never used a wheel puller - I just use a BFH on the steering shaft where the nut was (taking care not to damage the threads) and pull the wheel side to side while pulling out - use your knees behind it as well. I've had success doing this about 99% of the time.

It's been awhile, but I could almost swear the service manual explicitly says do NOT hammer on the steering wheel shaft to remove the steering wheel. Something about not damaging the collapsible safety mechanism in the column.

I'd just invest in the puller. I bought one from Pep Boys years ago, cost less than $10. It's a metal disc with a bunch of holes and different size bolts.

It's been awhile, but I could almost swear the service manual explicitly says do NOT hammer on the steering wheel shaft to remove the steering wheel. Something about not damaging the collapsible safety mechanism in the column.

I don't wail on it, I just smack it a couple of times, and then pull on the wheel.