Smoke from steering column

TeeJay3800

Hey guys, first post here in a LONG time. I still have my '90 Cutlass around and about 3 week ago a small wisp of smoke rose from my steering column. It went away after about 5 seconds and there was no noticeable smell. I drove it quite often during the next 3 weeks with nothing. Then again today the same smoke appeared, but this time it lasted slightly longer and there was a pungent odor. Then later in the day, the exact same thing again. Each time the car has been fully warmed up and driven for about 15 mins or so. Each time was also following a sharp left hand turn, but that may just be coincidence. Everything on the dash/steering column still works. Any idea what is causing the smoke and what I can do about it?

I am going to guess you were using the turn-signal???

You were most likely seeing lubricant smoking from a worn contact. I have been successful at re-habbing most of these earlier style switches, but if the contacts or plastic of the switch are worn or melted, you ned to replace it.

Wow, those were some quick responses. Actually, I think that in at least one of the instances, the turn signal was NOT on. In case I'm right, is there anything else it could be? FYI, I would describe the smell as "hot"...almost like when using a soldering iron.

if the signal is worn out it could be sagging, and making unwanted contact, which would cause the same thing to happen.

So either way, it's definitely turn signal related. What can I do to fix this problem?

I'm amazed that you haven't ever had this happen before. :lol: And good to see you on here!! Come back more often!

Thanks man. Maybe I will...especially if my Cutty keeps having problems! :smile:

I had this happen on my cutlass. All I did to fix it was remove the steering wheel and the signal switch, then clean off all the grease from the contacts. Once that was clean, i bent the contacts ever so slightly so that they made better contact, put a small amount of fresh grease on the contact points only and put it all back together. Worked great up until I sold the car.

I had this happen on my cutlass. All I did to fix it was remove the steering wheel and the signal switch, then clean off all the grease from the contacts. Once that was clean, i bent the contacts ever so slightly so that they made better contact, put a small amount of fresh grease on the contact points only and put it all back together. Worked great up until I sold the car.

done this on every car. Only one of mine had gotten so hot it melted, and that one had to be replaced.

Yeah my '90 did the same thing back in the day, lol. My mother drove it, noticed it, and freaked the hell out! :lol: It was the switch like everyone has said.

Yeah my '90 did the same thing back in the day, lol. My mother drove it, noticed it, and freaked the hell out! :lol: It was the switch like everyone has said.

Same with my wife when it happened to me, she wanted to get out of the car like it was on fire. :lol:

hahahah this is a normal occurance in a 1st gen. My old Z, my old vert and my I think my new Z does it on the odd occasion for a second.