Hello again from Snip in Tacoma!!! Long story, get coffee first. =)

SnipSnip

Hello to those who know me and Hi, my name is Snip from Tacoma, WA, for those who don't. I bought my 1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix in 1994. It has had it's share of troubles. Until I got the Jeff M crossover, it really had issues. That pipe saved that car. And then there was the fiasco with a guy named Francis (Frannies Trannies) in Tacoma. My car was miffed up BAD by that guy. He was telling me that I needed all this new stuff so I bought it ($1000's worth) and THOUGHT he was putting it in MY only to discover that he was taking old stuff off his wbody and putting into my car and using my new stuff in his. I know, I am too trusting but he was a friend of Jim W's so I thought I could trust him. I don't think they were friends anymore after that. Anyhow, my car could barely drive down the road. A family friend who is a wiz with cars fixed it in about 3 hours and $200 and it purred like a kitten. Then someone pulled out in front of me and I t-boned them. Their fault, front end smooshed. A local shop said they could fix it and endedup putting a 1991 front end on it and how they did it I will never know. But I was ok with it because the radiators are nicer in the 1991's! It looks ok. The headlights dance a little. And then the power steering fluid started leaking from my supposedly new power steering pump (no doubt in Frannies car) and I parked it because I didn't trust anyone to work on it. You know how it is...mechanics look at these engines and go "WTF"? It has been parked for MANY years. At least 5 years. Every so often I would charge the battery and move it from point a to point b (to mow or get it out of the way) but other than that, it has been sitting. Two days ago I decided it is time to resurrect it. I charged that battery and, of course, it fired right up. After coughing and cussing me out for about 30 minutes, it settled into that purr that we know and love. I pumped up the tires and moved it back and forth a few feet just to make sure the transmission was still with me. I apologized to it and promised to bring it back into the world.

Now I need your help.

I trust NO one to work on my car but I am sure it needs everything checked: Brakes, transmission, that fluid leak, stuff lubed, oil change (I converted it to synthetic years ago) and gawd knows what else. As I said before, I live in Tacoma, WA but will trailer it to a pro anywhere within a 3 hour drive. Jim W, if you see this, email me PLEASE! After that is all done, then it will have the interior glued back together and a paint job. I will have to post pictures of it.

I will really appreciate any help I can get and thanks in advance.

~Snip

there is a TGP section on the forum.

nobody has heard from Jim W for years.

I live in Eugene and have a front bumper for a TGP.

i have a set of proper foglights....

as for the "91" front end... the 90 and 91 are pretty much identical. Even if your core support has been replaced by a 91, the front 90 clip should fit. there was no need to smash it just the replace the radiator!

do you have a full sized radiator in there now? If so, what has been done with the intercooler?

After the accident, the whole front end was totalled. They replaced it with a 91 front end and everything that goes with that. The headlights dance a little but I think that someone in the know can make them more secure. The fog lights and the headlights work, as do the parking lights. I do need the taillights replaced and there are some on ebay that I think I am going to buy. The radiator is full size.

Thanks for letting me know about Jim. I have an old email address for him so I will try that. I willbe in touch.

~Snip

huh? I thought the TGP front end was specific and was the only one to have the aero headlights/fogs along with the valence. 91-on had mini quads right?

so you have no intercooler then????

I got tails.

correct i was just stating it was still the same style as what the 88-90 coupes got so it was similar, and didnt have miniquads

The guy who replaced it after the wreck told me that he could not find a 90 front end (of course not) but that he found a 91 and put in on. He said that once he got into it, he found out that they are not the same (yep, I could have told him that) and so then he had to get me a 91 radiator, etc. He really had a hard time with it but somehow he managed to make it work. I know it LOOKS like a 90, but it is not. I will continue to send in pictures as I get things fixed. I love this car. I always have. I am mad at myself for letting it sit but it will all pretty again soon.

~Snip

A 91 front end would be as pictured in my sig pic below, that is a 91 GP. 91+ GPs had miniquad headlights and a slightly different fascia. The TGP front end on your car is 89-90 TGP specific. I think the guy made a mistake and called all the parts 91, when in fact they were off a 90 TGP.

the radiator has to be a TGP one too otherwise the intercooler would not have fit.

when you let other people do work on your car thats what happens every time. at least for me. they say weird stuff that later on does not make any sense.

Snip, that's a factory 1989 or 1990 year model TGP front bumper for a fact. No other cars besides the TGP's received this specific bumper. There were no TGP's built in the 1991 model year, yet, a lot of people think their TGP's were made in "1991." It's just a common mistake, generally speaking, I'd say about 40%(or more) of the population cannot tell you off-hand the correct model year of their vehicles. I cannot even count the number of times that I've worked on a car for someone and they've told me the wrong year model...the owners are usually within a year or two of the correct model year. :lol: