98 Lumina airbag light

dodgethis

Hey I was heading home from work and see a red airbag light. I know off the bat that obviously there is an issue with the air bags. What can we do as far as pulling codes to find out which airbag is becoming flakey? I have a scanner but I don't think it works with airbags. I know how that last sentence just sound dumb but this totally new to me on how to approach the problem.

As always thanks for the help, look forward to ya'lls thoughts.

Hey crazy,

Obviously I will need to disconnect the battery before i touch the air bag fuse right? If I dont i risk the possibility of the air bag blowing out?

You aren't going to blow the bags by pulling the fuse. Nothing is going to blow up. I remove air bags all the time with just the key off and that's it. Wait a few mintues for the capacitors to discharge and you'll be fine.

However, it's sort of pointless to disconnect the battery and lose the SRS codes. You will have to take it and have it scanned with a proper tool.

I doubt either f the air bags are bad either. It is probably wiring or a corrosion problem on one of the impact sensors etc.

When I smoked a deer in my 94 CS, the airbag never went off (I was traveling at 75mph at point of impact) but the sensor wires got cut and the airbag light stayed lit steadily after that. I would asume it's wiring to the sensor that is bad. In my 94 the sensor was in behind the hood latch mechanism and since my parts car was a 92, the latch mechanism wasn't cut out to fit the sensor behind it, so I never re-installed it. My 94's hood latch mechanism was flat against the sensor :lol:

Thanks for ya'lls thoughts. It was weird when i walked back to the car to get the tires rotated because the light went out. I don't get it sometimes because one minute the light will be off the next the light is on. It does this every so 5 months to a time that it starts to become intermitten. I will keep an eye on it and see what happends.

Thanks for ya'lls thoughts. It was weird when i walked back to the car to get the tires rotated because the light went out. I don't get it sometimes because one minute the light will be off the next the light is on. It does this every so 5 months to a time that it starts to become intermitten. I will keep an eye on it and see what happends.

i would check and tighten the aux post and battery terminals, and also wiggle the fuse. sounds like a power drop is kicking out the code.