glove compartment latches cutlass supreme

rockfangd

Ok so i had to post this as a reminder for me and everyone with a cutlass supreme 1988-1994 square dash.

The latch for the glove compartment is a piece of shit design and they like to break and fall out which totally sucks. I always end up breaking one before i remember how they come apart.

There is a tiny hole in the knob on the underside and what you have to do is stick a needle or very thin paper clip into the hole and there is a spring loaded clip that has a hole in it and when you push the needle in there just right it will go into the hole and pull the small brass clip into the knob.

Once you achieve this (Not as easy as it sounds, and takes awhile for the first few times) you then turn the knob back 1/4 turn (counterclockwise) and it will pull out of the dash.

To install the knob back into the dash panel leave the pin in the hole and push it back into the positition that is 1/4 turn to the left and push it in until it is in all the way, then turn it to lock and pull the pin out.

you now have a working glove compartment again for awhile until it breaks again.

I usually just go to my local yard and pull a few good ones and keep a few spares but when i bought this new dash it was broken and i broke my other spare dashes too. lol lesson learned :mrgreen:

This is interesting. I remember breaking them and having the piece fall out, but I swore I thought the pot metal part had broken on all of them. You're saying there's a way to repair them?

when i replaced mine all i had to do to get it out of the dash is pop off the plastic part on the knob and pull it out, and then pop that plastic piece back on

This is interesting. I remember breaking them and having the piece fall out, but I swore I thought the pot metal part had broken on all of them. You're saying there's a way to repair them?

No there is no way to repair them. The instructions are on how to remove a used one and also on how to install a new or used one.

I will post a few pics of a broken one and a good one, and also the procedure.

when i replaced mine all i had to do to get it out of the dash is pop off the plastic part on the knob and pull it out, and then pop that plastic piece back on

I never detach the plastic part because there is a correct way to remove them

lol almost every one at the JY has been taped shut but the one i recently bought they actually adjusted the cover so it just jams onto the outside clip.

Mine likes to break every few years. I think it is the city driving

Huh, I didn't even know this was a common problem. I've had my 89 for 15yrs 88 for 14yrs, 94 for 7yrs... never had one break before. I did replace the one on my 89 back in the late 90's because it was sticking (not retracting completely), but nothing actually broke off. Guess I've been lucky. :)

• 3 weeks later...