Code 51/Speedometer stuck at zero/Irregular Restart

sethstorm

After I've driven the car enough to warm it up, I've had one problem that seems to still stick out. First, it stalled every so often, periodically went from current speed to zero and back, and gave SES w/ multiple Code 51's (ECM Error); had troubles restarting it after it stalled(required putting on the gas, and the engine revved up and down rapidly when I had to give it a considerable amount of gas to get it running). Now, after a fuel filter replacement and spark plug wire replacement, the stalling has disappeared completely, but the engine's speedometer still goes to zero with SES flickering on, giving multiple code 51's , and nearly the same engine starting troubles - but it otherwise appears to run fine w/ the zero speedometer reading.

Possible causes include:

- Incorrectly installed MEM-CAL module

- Defective MEM-CAL module

- Defective ECM

Open the ECM and make sure the MEMCAL is pushed all the way in and locked in place.

If it is, my vote is your ECM is no good.

I've read up on this as well, and I checked the memcal when I swapped the plug cables out(which seemed to make things a bit better for a while) - and things appear to point to the ECM as you said, or the fuel pump. The only other things that seem odd, is that it started all this after one of the front spark plug cables unseated itself from the plug in the engine; another odd thing is that the car somehow develops this when it's had condensation, rain, or some kind of moisture more so than when it's been in a dry environment.

That's a pretty tricky code, and the ONLY diagnostic procedure that GM lists in the Service Manual is this:

CHECK THAT ALL PINS ARE FULLY INSERTED IN THE SOCKET AND THAT THE MEM-CAL IS PROPERLY LATCHED. IF OK, REPLACE MEM-CAL, CLEAR MEMORY, AND RECHECK. IF CODE 51 REAPPEARS, REPLACE ECM.

That sucks...every other OBD-I code has these FULL diagnostic Flow-Charts, but this just said the above!!??

It's had a history of electrical problems in the past (i.e. smoking steering column but no steering problem, turn signals that require to nearly engage high beams to get them working). The only other stuff that might point to ecm is that the code disappeared once w/o battery disconnect which seems to point to the ecm or what's still working as far as the rest of the electrical parts go.