how to set idle

hazmatic

just like it says wut tools n proceders r required n is it easy to do urself or should i have a pro do it

There's not much to set the IDLE on electronic ignition systems. Just do an IDLE-Relearn. A lot of times cleaning the throttle body and some sensors will make your IDLE better.

On the 2.8s and 3.1s you can set the idle up if you want a lot of people dont know that and most mechanics wont tell you because your car should idle fine with the factory settings unless your car needs repair.

Heres what you do if you look at your throttle body when you rev your engine you can see the little stud that you accelerator hits when it is idling on the back side of that stud is a little plug you knock out and under it is the top of the stud. It takes a star screw drive to turn it and you can set the idle that way. I hope you guys can understand where im talking about sorry if you dont but its been along day in the garage today. If I was you Hazmat I would find out whats causing it not to idle right. Just raising the idle wont fix the problem and might make things worse in the long run.

On the 2.8s and 3.1s you can set the idle up if you want a lot of people dont know that and most mechanics wont tell you because your car should idle fine with the factory settings unless your car needs repair.

Heres what you do if you look at your throttle body when you rev your engine you can see the little stud that you accelerator hits when it is idling on the back side of that stud is a little plug you knock out and under it is the top of the stud. It takes a star screw drive to turn it and you can set the idle that way. I hope you guys can understand where im talking about sorry if you dont but its been along day in the garage today. If I was you Hazmat I would find out whats causing it not to idle right. Just raising the idle wont fix the problem and might make things worse in the long run.

Yeah I had to do that with my '89.. it would always die when I'd let off the accelerator.. letting the engine return to idle speeds. I tried idle relearn, and tinkered with some other stuff.. but this did the trick.

how do i do the idle re learn

Pull the battery cable or ECM fuse for aboout 5 - 10mins.

Re-install fuse / cable and start car.

Turn the key to the ON position for 10sec without starting the car.

Turn the key back to the LOCK / OFF position for about 5+sec.

And finally, turn the key back to ON for about 10sec again, and then start car.

Once running, put the car in gear, and let idle in gear for about 5 - 10mins.

Repeat process if nesscessary, if repeated more than once, check throttle body for build-up.

That's the full, proper procedure to have your ECM re-learn the factory idle speed.

- Erik