Knock sensor

SrMichi

The best way to do it is to rock the engine forward (you can find out how in the FAQ section). Once you do that, you can reach behind the engine and get a deep socket on that sucka.

Why do you have to replace it though? The sensors don't tend the fail, just the plastic breaks away on the sensor and wiring harness.

I dont know :willynilly: i guess i just want to try changing something new and learn from it.

OH and also i saw the wire on it and some parts on it where just bare.

A friendly suggestion is try replacing something else, easier to reach :lol: Change your oil! Much more straight forward.

If there is something wrong with the sensor, it WILL throw an engine code on your car. The car will feel a lot slower too, when the timing is set back.

I dont know :willynilly: i guess i just want to try changing something new and learn from it.

next time you are at a junkyard find a 94 or 95 3100 car. the knock sensor is on the front of the engine, try taking it off. btw, you say your wire is bad? take the wire from the same car and replace the end of your wire with it. (the wire is part of the engine harness, not the sensor)

A friendly suggestion is try replacing something else, easier to reach :lol: Change your oil! Much more straight forward.

If there is something wrong with the sensor, it WILL throw an engine code on your car. The car will feel a lot slower too, when the timing is set back.

I do have to change the oil this weekend :eek:. ill just try to change it i all ready order the sensor and the wire and it should be arriving today.

next time you are at a junkyard find a 94 or 95 3100 car. the knock sensor is on the front of the engine, try taking it off. btw, you say your wire is bad? take the wire from the same car and replace the end of your wire with it. (the wire is part of the engine harness, not the sensor)

Yeah i know i order new wire and it should be here today. the one currently on looks like the previous owner took it to the shop and they cut it by accident and crimped it together with something and left it there hanging

The sensors don't tend the fail, just the plastic breaks away on the sensor and wiring harness.

i know all about that, had to epoxy it back on there after i knocked it apart while changing the oil filter... it occasionally disconnected, threw a code and ran like shit. stopped plugged it back in, good as it was before.

You're probably going to be kicking yourself, the 3.1 knock sensors tend to be brittle and break off in the block, and you do not want that to happen. My GF's dad's 91 euro has sat for 2 months now because of that, I tried buying it off him cheap, but he won't give.

You're probably going to be kicking yourself' date=' the 3.1 knock sensors tend to be brittle and break off in the block, and you do not want that to happen. My GF's dad's 91 euro has sat for 2 months now because of that, I tried buying it off him cheap, but he won't give.

[/quote']

:eek:

You're probably going to be kicking yourself' date=' the 3.1 knock sensors tend to be brittle and break off in the block, and you do not want that to happen. My GF's dad's 91 euro has sat for 2 months now because of that, I tried buying it off him cheap, but he won't give.

[/quote']

:thinking:

I know the plastic nipple on the end is brittle... but the sensor actually broke off leaving the part in the block stuck?????

I know the plastic nipple on the end is brittle... but the sensor actually broke off leaving the part in the block stuck?????

If I had to guess, I'd say he was thinking of the CKP when posting.

[/quote']

that shit made me think twice about doing it. it would really realllly suck if that did happen i could imaging how hard it would be to take off :eek:.

if the plastic part breaks off no problem right? i could have swore when i had the sensor on my hand yesterday that it was metal.

You must have alot of cash to throw around if you're replacing perfectly good parts for the hell of it. Take that money and buy yourself a K&N air filter, or at least something productive. If its not broken, don't fix it. You might get away with it a few times, but it just takes one time where you really screw things up and then you're really thinking wtf did I do this for?

If you wanna do it for the sake of learning, go to the junk yard, take a knock sensor off of a car there... stand up, take a pee and then reinstall it. Won't cost you a thing, you learned how to do it, and if you screw up - who cares.

You must have alot of cash to throw around if you're replacing perfectly good parts for the hell of it. Take that money and buy yourself a K&N air filter, or at least something productive. If its not broken, don't fix it. You might get away with it a few times, but it just takes one time where you really screw things up and then you're really thinking wtf did I do this for?

If you wanna do it for the sake of learning, go to the junk yard, take a knock sensor off of a car there... stand up, take a pee and then reinstall it. Won't cost you a thing, you learned how to do it, and if you screw up - who cares.

you pee in the junkyard???

you pee in the junkyard???

If ya gotta go, you gotta go. I don't often see the classiest of people there. I just find a van or some big clunker to go behind.

Not really but another reason is im still getting crappy mileage. What do you mean by the K&N air Filter? The drop in replacement or the whole set up?

I have a K&N filter drop in you can have for shipping if a 94 GP and your car's airbox are the same.

good question. i'm not sure if the 94 lumina got the 93 or 94 style airbox, which is different.

but I'll take that deal on that K&N if he doesn't...

I have a K&N filter drop in you can have for shipping if a 94 GP and your car's airbox are the same.

good question. i'm not sure if the 94 lumina got the 93 or 94 style airbox, which is different.

but I'll take that deal on that K&N if he doesn't...

i'd take a guess that it has the older box, since everything else from 93 carried over into it as well.

I have seen 94 luminas in the jy with the newer style air box. I've also seen them with R134a from factory.

yeah mine has the newer style air box (the air temp sensor is on the tube not on the box) and it also has R134a