ignition problems

89SupremeCutty

a friend of mine bought an '01 gtp a few months ago and a couple of weeks ago he had this problem where he couldn't get his key out of the ignition. so i took a look at it and on the bottom side of the steering column under the ignition is a hole with a button inside it. can i assume that this is the key lock mechanism?

it's happening to him more frequently now and im not sure what to tell him the exact problem is. is it possible that his ignition is getting messed up or can the key lock mechanism be screwed up? could it also be realted anyway to the neutral safety switch? i doubt it is but just checking. his mom also has a '99 gp with the same problem. any help would be greatly appreciated.

could be the NSS. Try wiggling the shift lever while turning the key back and se if it makes a difference

that's what his dad said it might be. but i didn't think that could be the culprit. he also said that his mom just starts the car and moves it from park to drive and back like a thousand times before the key comes out.

could be the NSS. Try wiggling the shift lever while turning the key back and se if it makes a difference

that's what his dad said it might be. but i didn't think that could be the culprit. he also said that his mom just starts the car and moves it from park to drive and back like a thousand times before the key comes out.

iirc, that car has an electric release enabled by the NSS that allows the key to be turned to the off position. so it could be.

Key won't turn back if the selenoid is going bad, which is part of the shifter on a 97 GT. I'm assuming it's the same on newer models. Bypassing the selenoid at the key would fix it but then you would be able to shift in and out of park with the key off.

iirc, that car has an electric release enabled by the NSS that allows the key to be turned to the off position. so it could be.

i've mentioned the electric release to his dad also. i guess it could be a number of things then. he drove the car to work tonight so his dad can take it home in the morning and he's gonna look at it.