pillar problem

rockfangd

Ok i forget the name of the center pillars between the front and rear doors.all i can say is the one on the passenger side of my oldsmobile is getting really bad. When i bought the car 6 years ago it had a 50 cent peice size hole in the pillar where it curves up towards the lower rear door hinge, so i have done everything i can do to prevent it from getting worse, well it got worse. now it is rotted from the back all the way to the front of the pillar. The inside seems very solid (I pulled the panels and found no rust inside)

What i want to know is why the hell would it rust there. Is it still going to be safe? How long might it last?

I tried to take a few pics but even in the garage it was a bit dark.

In the first picture it jist looks like its a little rusted but if you touch it it just crumbles

I think your car needs to be retired. You should check the area beneath the car to see if you actually have any rockers left, as well as the areas where the rear trailing arms meet the body. sorry for your luck :(

well i had my boss look at it and he said it looks cosmetic but in the case of an accident it may affect the result :sad:

I think your car needs to be retired. You should check the area beneath the car to see if you actually have any rockers left, as well as the areas where the rear trailing arms meet the body. sorry for your luck :(

well I had the trailing arm mounts welded 5 years ago after they both snapped off of the body :eek: but i guess it may be almost time for retirement. I hate upstate NY.

Honestly i love my cutlass and it owes me nothing. It runs perfect and it rides fantastic. What would i do if it is bad?? :cry: lol/

My 2000 lumina is perfect underneath but i never cared much for the luminas because there is so many of them, My cutlass is unique to me.

the panel located below the sills?

I managed to snap a few more pics tonight.

the first 2 are the underside of the car below the damaged area

the third is the underside towards the rear

the fourth is towards the front underside

To me the underside looks pretty good. I will have to put the car on the lift this week to get a really good look overall.

Here are a few more damage pics.

The last pic is the very rear of the sill. Very thin but there is another panel below that seems fine. The rear doesnt surprise me but the pillar does

The underside looks okay, but the fact that there are large holes where the bottom of the B-pillar should be is a cause for concern. There's no way I'd pass that car in a safety inspection. Personally, I'd start looking for a new set of wheels :(

in az it would pass we took my moms car for inspection, and the didnt test anything. they didnt start the car, didnt check any of the light or signals, tires or anything. just walked in a circle around the car and glanced inside, and they passed it.:lol:

how much? any pics? What colors?. Lots and lotsof questions. I love southern cars.

Believe it or not but my cutlass was my first car to come from upstate NY, As a Primary anyhow..

i think getting the texas car would be a good idea.... and then greasing the %&* out of it.

George... you should remove the lower groudeffects that cover the rockers and inspect for damage. I guarentee you will be horrified. :cry:

I've done rocker repair on my 95... and will so do the same procedure on every car I have:

removed the lower groundefffects covering the rocker.

repaired holes with pop rivets and galvanized steel.

drilled oiling holes and poured in lots of grease and oil

drilled weep holes every 6 inches on the underside of the channel....

remounted groundeffects.