New Battery Suggestions

SmoothSteve3

Hey guys-

I'm gonna be getting a new battery in a few days to replace my aging one. I own a 90' Lumina 3.1.......any suggesstions as to which ones are the best? I've heard that deep cycle marine batteries are good.....is this true? Give me your thoughts.......thanks!

SmoothSteve3

1990 Chevy Lumina

3.1 Liter V-6 Engine

Ride on White Lightning

No need to get pissed there robby.......save it for the ricers......keep the w-body spirit strong

SmoothSteve3

Lets just say I may be a *little* intoxicated........sorry......lol

Robby

A battery is not always just a battery :wink: depending on where you live. If you live in a place where the winters get very cold, you will want a battery with a lot of CCAs (Cold Cranking Amps). You may also want a slightly larger battery than say someone that lives in a place with mild winters. That's just my .02 cents. I know when I go buy a battery for my truck..I find the biggest damn battery I can fit under the hood, because the winters around here are murder on batteries.

i like excide batteries but thats my pref... i also get a discount on em (maybe thats why) but any battery no matter what brand or type is only gonna last you at most 2 years so if you buy the 3 year battery you will get you next one much cheaper due to pro-rating :) i even tell my customers that! I believe the 84mo battery for our cars is $55 at checker.

general rule on warranties/prorating: pay a little more now save a lot later.

Cheap ass batteries don't last.

I put the cheapest O'Reillys battery in my wife's '88 Cutty. 2yrs later, it's dead and won't charge (killed 3 chargers trying to charge it, good thing I didn't try to jumpstart it or it would have eaten the alternator). That battery was even a warranty replacement for one that lasted less than that.

I also had the cheapest Wal-mart battery in my '89 and it only lasted 3yrs.

If you don't mind replacing batteries every 1-3yrs, then go ahead and get the cheapest. If you want one to last 5yrs+, spend a bit more.

Personally..I run Champion batteries in my Truck and Snowmobile, and a mix of Optima and Interstate batteries in my cars. :D The champion batteries seem to last the longest..especially with as much punishment as they take. The one in my truck has to run a 7ft plow all winter...power tilt. :D

Optima batteries are good, but are a bit pricey. I got the best generic brand battery for my '92 from Discount Auto Parts it cost like $70, and it has a 5 year warrenty. My '98 has an Exide NASCAR Select, it's a good battery.

Check the warranty to make sure it's not pro-rated. The $30 el cheapo's I've been buying have a 5yr warranty, but it's pro-rated. So even if it dies after 2-3 yrs, I still have to pitch in $20-25 for the replacement.

Buy a Delco. My mom had a Delco in her Safari van and it lasted through 9 Winnipeg winters and many, Many, MANY, complete drains cause she left her lights on. My dad also had one in his 85 regal and it lasted 8 years. From my experience, i can't say these batteries are too bad! (and thery're not that expensive either!)

I still have the original Delco in mine also. 9 New York winters and it still starts the car everytime although I am going to replace it before this winter. Since I've had the car its been drained 2 times and still holds a charge so I definetly suggest AC Delco.

• 2 months later...

yay i get to bring an old thread back to life...

Ok so the battery thats been sitting in my GP for a few years is shot, gee i wonder why. Anyway, it was prorated and id get a $15 credit towards a new battery (bought in Aug. 99, paid $49)

My question is this.. anybody with Optima or spiral cell batteries in a Wbody? Reason I ask is because of the top posts found on all the optima batteries, i want to know if they fit under the washer fluid tank or not.

Cheapest ive found is here:

http://batteriesareus.com/shop/

$97.99 free shipping for a red top 75

you sound like my wife :shock:

Ive gone through enough conventional batteries to know why I want a spiral cell.

1. Im tired of them taking a crap every 2 or 3 years

2. In 2 cases I have seen, the spiral cell will start the car faster than a conventional 750amp battery

3. Spiral cell batteries do not leak.. which is why my current one is shot.

I have an 89 Supreme with a yellow top Optima battery. All the Optimas I've seen have side and top posts. Although the battery is physically the same size, I had to ditch the battery cover due to the top posts. So if you have the washer fluid reservoir that covers the battery, chances are it wont fit.

The top posts on the Optima are about 3/4 inches high. If you can clear that, go for it. Personally, I luv the battery. I used to get a battery (Delco replacement) from Trak Auto (now Advanced Auto Parts) every 1 to 2 years. Not to mention the wear on the altenator (replaced almost as much as the battery).

With the Optima battery, Sony xplod system, 2 amps, sub and all the other electro gizmos, I've had no headlight dimming and I havent had to replace the altenator 3 years running.

You're the 2nd person ive heard with an Optima, and its a yellow top. From what I understand, the only smaller 75 series Optima comes as a red top.. and thats what im wondering if someone has.

800 series batteries dimesions: 10x6.8x7.8 (large)

75/35 series dimensions: 9x7.1x7.7 (small)

Stock Delco battery dimensions: 9x6.8x7

I have a full size spiral Exide in my truck, and i know for a fact it wouldnt bolt down in my 93 GP.. just too big of a footprint.

If anybody has researched this before, does any company make a spiral cell battery with side posts only?

I googled "spiral cell" and the only other company that came up was Champion. They also had dual post. No help there.

I also came across this.

http://www.solarenergysystems.com.au/Optima.html

Seeing that the top posts add an inch in height, looks like the only way you can put one in is to switch to the smaller washer fluid tank. You'll have to fill up washer fluid more ofter, but you'll never worry about your battery again.[/url]

I think the good luck people have with certain products is karma (or is it kismit?). I've heard from many people that swear by Diehard. But for me, every Diehard battery I've ever touched went dead in six months! :roll: Same thing with fords. It seems that everyone else has great experiences with'em yet when I get behind the wheel of one, it konks out! I'm a Capricorn, so maybe my planetary alignment ain't happenin' with certain things! :lol:

Basically, if whatever you use works for you, by all means continue to use it. I know I do. But I do keep an eye out for something new. And if it works for me and all my bad luck, I know it'll work for anyone else! :lol: