help new battery is dead!

cutlsp

Should i get a new better battery?  

1. 1. Should i get a new better battery?

my old battery died today and i went and got a new one and it is allready dead :? . what the hell is going on here i can jump start it and it will run. but once i shut it off i can start it back up within 15 minutes after shuting it off but not more then 15 minutes after i shut it off.

It could be the alternator. With the battery fully charged and the engine idling, turn on all electrical accessories (on high if applicable) and check the voltage across the battery. If it's any lower than roughly 13 volts, the alternator is not working.

There could also be a drain on the system. Some places (Sears, Autozone) can check all of this for you.

my old battery died today and i went and got a new one and it is allready dead :? . what the hell is going on here i can jump start it and it will run. but once i shut it off i can start it back up within 15 minutes after shuting it off but not more then 15 minutes after i shut it off.

That's an alternator problem alright. The battery does nothing more than start the car. The alternator keeps the car running and charges the battery. If the alt doesn't charge, the battery now takes position of keeping the nesscessary voltage / ampreage for the injectors, ECM, plugs, etc. After time, like any dry or wet cell, it'll loose it's potential energy and the car will die out. If you got a pushrod motor, it's an easy replacement: 3 bolts, a wiring connector and a serp belt; piece of cake! :D

- Erik

Also, when you put in your new alternator (which is your problem), make sure the ground on the battery has a nice clean contact with the metal on your car. If its corodded, it can cause a shit load of problems down the road.

Aaron

When you start the car and engine running test the battery with a volt meter. If the reading is close to 14v then the battery is being charged. If the reading is around 12 or less then the alternator is not charging the battery.

Get yourself a battery charger/starter at this time since your battery is not fully charged because it is been discharged. Don't let a new alternator charge the battery but instead charge the battery to full with a battery charger/starter.

BTW, does your battery light come on at all on your dash?

nope it was the battery because if the alternator was bad it would not keep running when i remove the jumper cables it was the battery i exchanged it for a new because the second one i got was not holding a charge this new one is holding a charge so i'm good to go now :D thanks for trying to say it was a problem with my car and it isn't the second battery was not holding a charge the 3rd times the charm. :lol: